1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone give their Dog Vitamin E ?

Discussion in 'Holistic care' started by diamondmom, Feb 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. diamondmom

diamondmom Boxer Booster

I have used the vitamin e on my dogs skin but I was wondering if anyone gives it in the food? And how much ? Thanks

2. sriley

sriley Completely Boxer Crazy

I give my boys one vitamin E capsule once a day (400 IU). I just drop a capsule into their food dishes and they eat them with their morning meal. Vitamin E is supposed to improve their immune functioning, is good for their skin/coat, and helps to prevent certain toxins from attaching to the liver. I give vitamin E to my Boxers simply as a preventative measure. I also give them an Omega-3 capsule once per day.

3. Gatorblu

Gatorblu Boxer Insane

I give my both my dogs vitamin e. You should especially give it if you give fish oil. The body uses a lot of vitamin e processing fish oil and can become vitamin e deficient. From the research I have done, on average 200 iu for a dog over 50 lbs, 100 iu if less than 50 lbs.

4. diamondmom

diamondmom Boxer Booster

Thank you so much for the info. Is there a certain kind of vitamin e that works the best ( as far as brand) ? I had her on fish oil before but I stopped . I was looking at maybe something else or trying it again. Or maybe hemp oil

5. diamondmom

diamondmom Boxer Booster

I just realized that I picked up the 400 and her dog food already has 150 in it . Think that might be to much to give her .

6. Caney Creek

Caney Creek Boxer Insane

Vitamin E should also be supplemented if you give your dog tap water. The chlorine in tap water depletes vitamin E in the body.

I think 400IU would be fine for a boxer. I wouldn't worry too much about the amount in her food since much of the vitamins added to food are destroyed by heat, light, over time, etc. I give my dogs the 400IU capsules, they each get one capsule every other day.

7. diamondmom

diamondmom Boxer Booster

I give her filtered water the same we drink. Ok I will give it to her every other day as well. Do u pop open?

8. Caney Creek

Caney Creek Boxer Insane

Nope, I just toss it in with their kibble. :)

9. diamondmom

diamondmom Boxer Booster

I didn't know I could do that . I just thought always had to pop any capsule open , lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.