1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone feed Royal Canin Boxer Formula?

Discussion in 'Feeding' started by Achillesmom, Sep 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Achillesmom

Achillesmom Boxer Pal

Hello everyone,
    I currently feed my boxer and rott/lab mix Innova Large Breed Puppy, and they like it well enough. However, I have been having a lot of health issues, especially skin issues, with my boxer. I asked my vet if I should switch to Royal Canin Skin formula, but he mentioned the Osteo and Digestive formula. I came home and researched both Royal Canin, Innova, and every other brand of food! I am still very confused! The Innova gets great reviews, but the Royal Canin does not seem to, but everyone I ask says Royal Canin is great, and that I should be feeding Royal canin Boxer formula...any suggestions? PS- My pups are only 13 months and 11 months, and still growing so I would like to keep them with a brand that offers Large Breed Puppy formula...my boxer I wouldn't mind putting on adult food since he has seemed to steady his growing rate. Thank you!
    Lindsay

2. Caney Creek

Caney Creek Boxer Insane

Who are you asking exactly?? Because I know what everyone here will say :) The reviews you've read about Royal Canin are correct, it is not a great food. Innova is much better, but if your pup is not doing well on it maybe it's time for a switch. Not to Royal Canin though :)

Dog Food Analysis has ratings and reviews on lots of dog foods. Browse foods with 4, 5, and 6 star ratings to find something decent for your pup.
    Dog Food Analysis - Reviews of kibble

There is also an index of reviews where you can search foods by name.
    Dry dog food alphabetical index - kibble starting by A

3. BxrMommieNAZ

BxrMommieNAZ Boxer Insane

I absolutely agree with Caney. Also to add, Boxers are not large breed dogs and typically do not need large breed food puppy or adult, so you can really feed any normal puppy or all life stages food you would like preferably a healthy one, which Royal Canin is not, and their "Boxer formula" is simply a marketing gimmick.

If you are having skin issues you may want to include fish oil capsules and a vitamin E capsule daily and see if that helps to improve the skin issues. As Caney said, dogfoodanalysis is a great site to choose a 4, 5, or 6 star food. Innova is a good food, but not all foods and ingredients work for all dogs, and it may take a few tries to find something that does work but you'll get there. In the meantime some fish oil and vit E should hopefully help with the skin problems.

Good luck!

4. Achillesmom

Achillesmom Boxer Pal

Thank you both very much for your replies! I actually just went and got more "fish oil" to put on the dogs' food. I was giving it to them but ran out and didn't realize how much of a difference it made on their coats until recently, so I finally went and got some more.

Also, just wanted to mention that I continue to feed my boxer the large breed because I feed my rott/lab it, and it is a pain to try to feed them different food. But I actually e-mailed the Innova company and received a quick reply from a lady that works there that it is perfectly fine for my boxer to eat large breed formula and that she actually feeds her basset hounds large breed. I thought this was interesting, and I was very impressed with their quick reply and genuine interest in my question...so just thought I'd share. Thanks again!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.