Anyone else building a house?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rowdy Boys

Completely Boxer Crazy
Well, it's official - Greg and I have joined the BW "homebuilder's club". We signed our contract on Friday. We ended up not building on the lot we initially chose for various reasons - mainly because the lot was not very build-friendly. I should have listened to my Dad (who is a builder) when he said that if there are lots left over in a built-up subdivision, there is a reason WHY the other builders haven't bought it.

Anyway, one of the builders we had talked to at one point was building a spec house in the 2nd phase. I was on-line one night and saw this spec house - it is exactly the same floor plan we were going to use (a few rooms are flipped) but just bigger. Plus, the lot was more money to begin with and it was listed with an agent. So, for the same price we were trying to build a smaller house on the bad lot with potential rock issues during construction, we're getting a bigger house on a nice, flat lot with an awesome backyard for the boys.

We knew it was meant to be. I had been praying for an answer. I knew it shouldn't be THIS hard. The framing is just now being completed so we were just in time to choose the brick, roof etc...

Plus, Greg is going to wire it. Because it was a spec house, the builder had already secured his electrical sub and wasn't going to back out on them (which is to be respected), but Greg and his boss met with the builder and the other electrician and they came to terms so that Greg can wire the house. He is thrilled. He'll be working all weekend, but he's good and fast so he'll get it done in two days.

We plan to take the boys out too and get some pictures, but like ROG1006 and Boomer's Papa said, I want to wait until the framing is complete and that part is cleaned up. Probably will this weekend while Greg's out there working.

I can't hardly stand it now that I know it's official. We're scheduled to close on May 28th (we closed May 31, 2000 when we bought our very first house in TX). We miss our house so bad. Going back to an apartment once you know the joy of owning a house is terrible. We have domestic issues with our upstairs neighbors too. One night they were arguing so loud that they woke Justice up and scared her and she had to sleep in our bed. They had four cops out there a month ago as she moved out, but she came back that weekend. I don't believe there is any physical abuse going on, but they argue a lot and we can hear what they say. Plus, we don't feel like we're "home" yet and we believe that having a house again will be the final piece to the puzzle.

Boomer'sPapa

Super Boxer
Well, they started framing last week, and assuming the weather holds up, the house will be dried in my Friday afternoon.

When I close on the house, there will only be carpet in the bedrooms and the hallway. A friend of the family is going to lay 18" ceramic tile for me....and he's going to do it at one-tenth the cost that Pulte quoted me for tile--materials and labor ($1,000 vs. $10,000). Also going to bite the bullet and have them install the sprinkler system.

The week after I close, I'll be painting the walls, having tile laid down, and sodding the backyard. Gotta get that sod down before Boomer runs around the backyard.

Cheers,

Boomer'sPapa

Super Boxer
Update...

Well, Boomer, Jacques and I moved in with some friends, and most of my belongings are in a storage unit until closing in late June or early July.

Framing is done and most of the windows are in. The siding is up and the brick lug should be arriving any day now. The Techshield roofdecking should be on the roof by Saturday, and then they can start wiring for power.

It looks like someone screwed up when reading the plot plans... I'm positive that I now have approx. 275 sq ft less backyard, as the setback should be 20 ft and is somewhere between 25 and 27 ft instead. I'm awaiting confirmation from Pulte, and if I'm correct, will be demanding a good chunk of $ off the price of the house.

We're staying with some friends for the next couple of months, and their neighborhood is just a quick walk away from my house. Looks like Boomer and I will be getting more exercise walking over there instead of driving everyday.

Cheers,
Scott, Boomer & Jacques

Boomer'sPapa

Super Boxer
Update

Now the house is dried in (minus the doors), and the electrical, phone & cable wiring are in place. Yesterday, the insulation went into the outside walls, and I assume today and tomorrow they'll be finishing the inside insulation and blowing insulation in the attic. There's plenty of drywall stacked all over the house. I'm supposed to meet with the builder later this week before the drywall goes up for a walk-through. The slab should be tensioned this week, and I'm told this will pull together the few cracksin the foundation (which I know is characteristic of a concrete slab...drying from the outside in). My sales consultant was let go a week ago yesterday, so the other consultant has been making up for lost time. Methinks his job is on the line as well. :rolleyes:

It's getting closer and closer to closing and move-in. Now I'm working on finding suitable tile that won't empty my bank account.

Cheers,
Scott, Boomer & Jacques

Boomer'sPapa

Super Boxer
A week after my previous update, I am 90% sure I will terminate the contract on the house this afternoon.

First, Pulte is refusing to take $ off the price (difference in cost of flooring for carpet in the bedrooms & hallway vs. carpet in 2/3 of house and vinyl in rest of house). The other sales consultant told me that the discount (if any), would be so small as Pulte buys in such great quantity. They would still deliver the excess carpet and vinyl tile to my garage (what am I supposed to do with excess carpet I didn't want in the first place?).

Second, upon walking the house yesterday evening and looking at the blueprints, I noticed that the whirlpool tub in the master bath should have wall mounted fixtures (that means the tub should be rotated 180 degrees), and that there should be a 2 ft high seat in the shower.

Third, there is a large crack running the width of the foundation (this is a post-tensioned slab, and they haven't tensioned it yet....now that the house is dried in, the siding is on, and the roof is finished, I'm wondering what's going to pop loose when they do decide to tension the foundation.

Fourth, still no answer on why they can't read the plot plans (which led to setting the house 10 feet further back than it should have), and a resulting decrease in price because there will be less backyard for Boomer.

Scott

Maybe you are supposed to move to Dallas after all. I'm sorry the house isn't working out for you. At least you didn't buy the house and then it falls apart.

P.S. My Dad is framing Ross Perot's daughter's house. Maybe they will have enough scraps left over to build you a house. LOL

Boomer'sPapa

Super Boxer
Well, I talked with my realtor before I met with the builder, and he told me to meet with the builder and get as many questions answered that I could, and then if there was anything that still went unanswered, then he would intervene and go as high as necessary to resolve the problems.

So, I didn't cancel the contract, in part because Bob convinced me that he could make them look so stupid that they would give in, and also pointed out that one-story 3 bedroom houses are in extremely short supply here in the San Antonio area....and that Pulte could very well sell my house to someone else for $5-7K more than my contract is for once it's finished.

More to come?

Scott

Knye2001

Completely Boxer Crazy
Boy-o-Boy!!! What fun it sounds like you are having! I've been following this as you've been writing and I just wanted to say that I hope you and your consultant stick it to them so that they will take money off your contract!! They should have read the plans and done all those things that were in the plans. Since my Husband is a floorlayer - he sees this all the time!! You would think that they made the plans for a reason - to stick to them!!!

Good luck and keep us informed!! As a future homebuyer, this is interesting!!

Boomer'sPapa

Super Boxer
Update....

Well, it's been over six weeks since I last posted an update. After four months of haggling with various levels of indecision, Pulte finally decided that I should get some sort of credit ($595 off the upgrade price of $1290) for only needing approx 1/2 of the carpet, since I'll be putting tile down in the rest of the house.

Surprise, surprise....I walk into the attic last Friday, and there is a huge roll of vinyl flooring up there....Guess I might be selling it, since I don't need it anymore.

I was supposed to close Friday, and now it's been moved to today at 1600.....however, there are still so many things they need to fix and/or finish, that I know I won't be closing this week. Of course, that's okay with me, as I still don't have the remainder of my downpayment ready for a cashier's check.

I know it's going to take at least three days for them to finish the remaining items, and I'll be on leave by then....driving up to Dallas for the 4th and then it's down to South Padre Island for a week with eighteen senior high youth from the church for a youth conference....which, ironically, was planned eight months before I signed the contract on the house.....so now the earliest I could possibly close would be 14 Jul.....when I had planned on closing originally.

Cheers,
Scott, Boomer & Jacques

luvfritz

Boxer Pal
Glad to hear that the house is coming along well and the closing is fast approaching...this is a great thread, very interesting...keep us posted..have a safe and fun trip to the conference..

Barb

Status
Not open for further replies.