Anyone else building a house?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Carol likes your Garden Ridge. When we lived in Bastrop, we would go there often. Was that Shertz or Selma, where they used to radar cars on I-35 from the police station window. It's a bar & grill now.

Boomer'sPapa

Super Boxer
The old Selma City Hall Bar & Grill will soon be a HOOTERS restaurant. You can imagine the uproar when folks living in the area found out.

The cops from Selma and Schertz had to curtail much of their revenue generation from the speed trap on I-35 a couple of years ago....turns out the state and federal gov't had a beef with both cities.

The backyard is roughly 55 x 30...more than twice the size of our current yard.

Already the builder is telling me they won't put vinyl tile in the dining room and family room, as there would be too many seams. I'm just thinking I'm cutting into their profit margin a bit too much. I've got to talk to the construction foreman to find out the real scoop.

I did find out that the area directly behind me will be another Pulte development, priced a bit higher than my house. The folks who paid a $5,000 lot premium will soon have construction equipment in their backyards building another phase of the same neighborhood.

Boomer'sPapa

Super Boxer
I had my pre-construction brief with the builder yesterday morning. Forms are going up in the next day or so, however, the builder can't do anything else until the permits come back from the city.

If the rain finally stops for a few days and the permits come back from the city, the foundation will be complete by next Friday, and they can start framing the week after that.

Assuming no more big delays, I'll be closing on the house on my birthday.

buddy'smom

Boxer Pal
Kailee and I want to say

Congratulations to you and Boomer on your new house!! appicon appicon We are sooo excited for you, and Kailee is jealous of the backyard. Backyards to Kailee mean squirrels, birds, raccoons and tons of other playtime friends ;)

Seriously, I am happy for you and shall be eagerly awaiting pics of this new home. Congrats

Jean and Kailee

rog1006

Completely Boxer Crazy
We went to check out the site on Wednesday and they have all the wood there and they are supposed to be done framing it today or Monday! I cannot wait! We are going to buzz over there today and try to get some pics of Ty and Molly sitting in the framed house!! YAY!

This is sooo exciting, isn't it?????

-Christine

Boomer'sPapa

Super Boxer
Right now there are no trees on my lot. The city requires all new houses to have a minimum of three trees (twigs) and five shrubs. Luckily, I picked a lot that didn't have the fire hydrant or the green box (electricity hook-up).

The builder laid out some forms on Friday, and should start digging for the plumbing today...hoping that everything is ready to pour the foundation by Friday.

At my pre-construction briefing with the builder, I inquired about putting vinyl tile everywhere except the bedrooms and the hallway (going to go ceramic tile in 1 yr). The builder said that no one had ever asked for less carpet, and asked that I visit a flooring showroom to talk to someone who knows flooring. The salesman had the exact vinyl tile and carpet I chose, and said that the additional seams would be virtually un-noticeable for the year that it will be down, and at least I won't have to pull up good carpet next July.

MyGirlHeidi

Completely Boxer Crazy
I'd have to say building a house is so exciting!! Congratulations! It's frustrating too because you want everything done yesterday and it's hard waiting for people to come and do the jobs your waiting on. I'd have to say the hardest thing for us was waiting for the inspector's and hoping whatever they inspected passed and if it didn't waiting for the plumber or whoever to come back and fix the problem and then wait again to get it reinspected and so on and so on. But once you're finally in, it's great!!beericon

Barb_IA

Boxer Insane
Congratulations on your new home. My husband would love to build a new home. I'm pretty content where I'm at. He would love to have a game room with a pool table. I have a very good friend that's a contractor. He does fabulous work. He's built several homes and he has remodeled my kitchen, dining and bath. He's done the siding, roof and windows also. Building would be fun if you can handle picking out floorings and fixtures. I'd be forever trying to figure out what I want. :LOL:

Barb

rog1006

Completely Boxer Crazy
We just went out to our house yesterday and brought Tyson with us again and I got a pic of Dan and Tyson with the house! Just posted it to my gallery--just waiting for approval! I just love it! My two guys!! (Molly had to stay home this time, but she gets to go out there with us on Friday--can only handle one at a time with all the nails and stuff--have to watch too closely to have TWO stinkers running a muck!!)

;)
-Christine

Boomer'sPapa

Super Boxer
I'm awaiting a call-back from the area superintendent regarding my flooring choice. Right now, the powers that be won't let me put down vinyl flooring in most of the house (I do want carpet in the bedrooms and the hallway)....and say I won't be happy with the results, and that they won't be liable if the floor doesn't come out the way I want it. I've already told my salesman that I've only got $1,500 invested so far, and would be happy to cancel the contract if I don't get what I want. I don't know....Pulte does exactly what I want at sites in Arizona....why the h*ll they won't do it here in Texas is beyond me.

I've just about collected every piece of information wanted by the mortgage company....just waiting on my next bank statement in a week, and then a follow-up phone call sometime in the next 10 days.

The foundation was poured last Wed, so now I'm waiting for everything to cure enough to start framing....possibly Thursday morning.

I'm working hard to get everything packed and moved into the storage unit as quickly as I can, as I don't want to be here in this duplex any longer than I absolutely have to. Yet another domestic disturbance call two nights ago...this time six sheriff deputies were involved (only fourth call in three weeks).

I've taken Boomer with my a couple of times out to the site, but I haven't let him walk around any, as there's too much leftover construction matierial lying around for those paws to walk over.

Cheers,
Scott & Boomer

Status
Not open for further replies.