1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone do Rally-o

Discussion in 'Agility/Obedience' started by johann, Apr 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johann

johann Boxer Insane

Johann and I are doing a level 1/novice Rally class night now. I wasn't quite physically ready for agility yet (still limping, can't run)....so I decided we'd give this a try.

He's doing really well so far. :) I'm surprised that he's still being good without having treats constantly shoved into his mouth. :LOL: Maybe he's finally learning the cues instead of just following the food....it had to happen eventually.

Does any do rally trials? There are a few this summer in my area and I'm thinking of entering.

2. Jan

Jan Reasonable Moderator Staff Member

I used to do obedience with Markus years ago and it was pretty stressful. I think Rally-O would be much more fun. I would be inclined to try it now, but all the competitions are just to far away.

3. johann

johann Boxer Insane

It seems much more fun than obedience, not nearly as focused on "perfection". Johann does really well, but it's hard for him to focus and behave sometimes......I try to play tug with him after each run-thru to keep his brain from shutting down.

Too bad the competitions are so far away from you. I think it's getting more popular, maybe some will come closer. :)

4. violetashlee

violetashlee Super Boxer

I just started rally obedience with Violet. We've only had one class; second one is tonight. She did great considering we started in the middle of a session of seasoned rally obedience dogs.

I dont know if I like it. I wanted to Agility with her, but the trainer that I use isnt teaching that right now. Though I do find it hilarious that we are in there with abunch or aerodynamic, light-on-their -feet dogs like border collies, etc. They are so light and move so gracefully. Then there is Violet (boxer/St bernard mix) They heel nicely prancing by their owners side, and Violet heels, but its like a heard of elephants - THUMP THUMP THUMP. Then when we have to down the dogs, they all down very elegantly while Violet throws herself on the floor. I was cracking up.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2010
  5. samsons

samsons Boxer Insane

i have such a lovely mental pic of that !!! i just started REALLY training Sam , since i deiced i wanted to do therapy work with him , he goes down nicely on the command ( but will stay kinda , ummm ,,, not quite on the floor , just way down, and stretched out , ready to jump back up i guess. if i give the settle command , he just kinda flops over on his side and stretches out , like he is lying in the sun !! the flopping part makes a "thud " sound - so i had to chuckle at ur description !!

gatta love their goffyness ! :)

6. johann

johann Boxer Insane

Thankfully we aren't stuck in a class with a bunch of graceful dogs. :LOL: It's Johann, a pit bull, the trainer's am staff/pit bull, a little wirey terrier, and a doberman. I <3 the doberman....such a pretty girl. :)

:LOL: :LOL: at the image of Violet thumping her way down the course and throwing herself down onto the ground. :) Wait till you start agility :D

7. whiskers

whiskers Boxer Insane

Sounds like fun! I had a little trouble deciding if I wanted to do rally or agility. Rally would probably be the "safer" option for us because I can just see Juno running through the agility course in her own special way and trying to say hi to everyone. But I think she would enjoy a little break from all the obedience drills (and quite frankly, I'm getting sick of them too!), so agility won. lol. I just hope the other agility dogs can handle my boisterous boxer! ;)

Do let us know if you enter trials. I'd looooove to dabble in rally and agility competitions, I'm just afraid my nerves/social anxiety will hold us back!

Last comment--if you're interested in agility but not able to physically run a course yet, maybe there are some schools in your area that offer foundation classes? The school I'm bringing Juno to requires them before you can start the basic agility classes. Basically they work on recalls, stays, sending out to a target, and then they get them used to things like walking across wobble boards and over poles, etc. They're not even introduced to the equipment at this level, and if they are it's very minimal, so there's certainly no running around involved. Just a thought if it's something you're interested in!

8. chrystel

chrystel Boxer Insane

I am thinking of trying rally o this spring! :)
    we already do agility and Oxford needs better focus, so the trainer recommended rally-o.

Hmmm... I laughed at the mental picture of Violet laying down.. because.. Oxford does lay down.. stays.. and starts rolling around, all 4 paws in the air, grabbing air and acting goofy..:LOL:

nice... we're going to look reaaaaal serious! cool2icon

9. IluvLucy

IluvLucy Boxer Insane

I used to do both Rally and Obedience with J.C. We did pretty good at both of them but I think J.C. enjoyed the agility more, even though he wasn't the most ambitious dog you'll ever meet. They are both fun to do and I highly recommend you try them. You need to do a fair amount of training to be competitive, but training time is good quality time spent with your dog and it just doesn't get much better than that. I certainly never regretted a single minute I spent training and competing with J.C.

10. larrygs

larrygs Super Boxer

Well said! Layla and I have been learning Agility, something neither of us had done before. I doubt we'll stay with it long enough to earn titles. Not that she isn't capable of that. Once we start a run or a learn a new skill she is amazing, the star of our class. Of course in between it is like holding a bottle rocket with a string, her attention is everywhere else. However the real issue is the time required to earn a title. The reason for doing all this has become the intense engagement with her. It seems to deepen and expand our relationship away from Agility. Yes, quality time indeed. HIghly recommended.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.