1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anybody have a Tempur mattress?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by rrboxer, Jan 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rrboxer

rrboxer Super Boxer

Yesterday we stopped by the Tempur Mattress store on the way home to try out some of the foam memory mattresses. My husband has been complaining of backache almost from the get go we bought our current mattress. Our current mattress is almost 3 years old. So, he has been researching and looking up reviews on Tempur mattress but the one we chose is a brand new line, "Tempur Contour Signature" (King Adjustabel (Ergo) the top and bottom of this mattress can be raised and lowered by wireless remote control (I really like this last feature). The store has their own financing for 4 years and their is a 25 year warranty with the bed not to mention they have 100 days of tryout if you don't like the bed within that 100 days they will exchange a different mattress for you. I like the 100 days. I just don't know for sure if I want to spend that kinda money for a mattress. Just curious if anyone has used Tempur or has this new type of bed and do they like it/or dislikes? What are they?

2. DebbieJen

DebbieJen Completely Boxer Crazy

I don't have a Tempur mattress but I was having issues with my mattress and so I bought a 4inch latex infused mattress to put on top of my mattress and I noticed a huge difference. I don't wake up sore all over anymore.

3. Caney Creek

Caney Creek Boxer Insane

I don't know much about the Tempurpedic mattresses, I did have a Tempurpedic pillow for several years and loved it :) It did eventually become flat however.

I think that our next mattress purchase will be a sleep number bed. The idea that each side can be individually adjusted for each person's needs is a real selling point for me!

As for the memory foam mattress toppers, my experience was just the opposite of DebbieJen's. We have tried two different toppers and I didn't care for either of them. I think that you need to have a very new and very firm mattress to get any benefit from a topper. Our mattress was old and sunken in the middle, and a new foam top didn't make it sink any less!

4. rrboxer

rrboxer Super Boxer

My husband heard that if you get a memory foam topper that could help also. We are still deliberating over this big, big purchase. I loved the feel of the Tempur Contour Signature but having a set payment for four years that isn't something to take lightly especially when I want to purchase other things. I wish there were some reviews on it but this is a brand new line and there aren't any comments so far. I think we might try a topper first and see how that goes first. Try the less expensive choice first. Maybe we'll keep an eye out for someone selling a king size Tempur mattress on craiglist as well.

We do need a king size bed as we both have a tendency to move around alot. Me...I always think of a burger flipping back and forth I do that constantly and its probably due to the mattress. My husand said I'm all over the bed moving around and now that we are older it seems like we need more room and our queen size isn't big enough. We also searched internet for the Sleep Number beds as well and I can't remember reason why we zeroed in on specifically on the Tempur brand but I heard Sleep Number beds are nice as well. I appreciate the responses.

5. Gatorblu

Gatorblu Boxer Insane

I don't have the tempurpedic but it seems I have heard that you need to use their mattress pad to have the warranty stay in effect and they aren't cheap. So that would be an added expense on top of the bed. I can see where you would like the adjustable part tho. It is a feature I know I would enjoy.

We have the sleep number bed and when the time comes for a new one I will get another sleep number. I sleep on my stomach and most mattresses are too firm for me to do so comfortably. I can adjust it to were it is soft enough for me to lay comfortably and still be firm enough to give the support I need. They aren't cheap either and come with a 20 year warranty. I have had mine for 10 years already.

6. Cami

Cami Boxer Insane

We have a TempurPedic and to be honest I sleep most nights on the couch!
    I have fibromyalgia though and I don't think anything would be helpful for me. My DH loves it but with that being said complains of a backache on a daily basis.
    Don't get me wrong, they are extremely comfortable once you get used to the temperature. They sleep HOT. This works great in the winter but takes a few days to get used to in the warmer months. More so to do with swapping out lighter fabrics for the bedding at the right time.
    The mattress protectors run $100 give or take a few bucks and easiest to purchase online from the company (they will have a record of your purchase for warranty). We've had the bed for 8-10 years? and I am on my 2nd one.
    We started out by putting the mattress down into our old waterbed frame. It fit perfectly, (California King). A couple of months ago I wanted a different look and went on the hunt for a platform bed to put the mattress on. That was a chore and when I finally found something it had to be special ordered. I am still waiting for it and in my 7th week.
    It was pricy too! The mattress has to sit on a solid base, nothing with slats so take that into consideration.
    Tempurpedics NEVER go on sale (per the company) but you can find stores that sell them offering deals that will tempt you to buy.
    I found a dealer online in a different state that eliminated sales tax, threw in a Tempurpedic pillow for free and a body sized Tempurpedic for 1/2 price (about $75) and free shipping. Sales tax savings alone was close to $200. appicon
    My pets love the bed if that makes a difference! :LOL:
    It also took me a couple of tries to find the best fitting sheets. Due to the depth of the mattress your typical sheets tend to slip off each night when they don't fit right. I can change the bedding myself but it is way easier when DH helps! The beds are HEAVY!! Just lifting up a corner to put the fitted sheet on is a chore.

7. rrboxer

rrboxer Super Boxer

Yes, you brought up a good point about properly fitting sheets (more expense it seems). We have been looking on internet at king size sheets for the tempur mattresses (that memory foam mattress does look thick). The Tempur stores sells sheets as well but again I think they are too pricey and I'm sure if we did decide to travel down the Tempur path then I'll be looking for less expensive sheets (unless maybe sales person can give us a deal as an incentive? - throw in free linen?). I haven't thought about looking online and out of state either and very clever to consider that. Thank you so much for your comments ladies I have alot to think about.

8. DebbieJen

DebbieJen Completely Boxer Crazy

I don't know for sure if you could find it but you might want to try Amazon or Overstock.com I have known both sites to have good prices on various items.

9. Cami

Cami Boxer Insane

I finally found sheets that fit perfect from Kohl's. Don't know if you have them in your area or not but they run me about $75 a set, 800 thread count. I can find the name of them if and when you need it.

10. LILYLARUE

LILYLARUE Boxer Insane

I am going to buy a mattress this year as well. I will be going with the sleep number, though I do like how the tempur feels. It's just too dang hot for me, night sweats, and having 4 dogs on top of me, well, it can get 120 degrees inside me pretty quick!

For those that have issues finding linens, look for deep pocket fitted sheets (obviously) and then use the sheet garters. They look like garter belts that keep the sheet corners on the mattress. I use them for my pillowtop and works like a charm!

I used to LOVE Serta brand linens - so soft and luxurious, and about $200! I would lay in bed longer just to feel the fabric. Yeah, I'm kinda weird that way. They only come in white, so with the 4 dogs now, it's impossible to keep them clean looking. I was always so happy to get into a clean white linen bed :( I'm so sad I have to buy less expensive, less comfy fabric now. Darn dogs!!! Always messing with my Mojo!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.