1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any Schutzhund boxers here?

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by bojangles307, Nov 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bojangles307

bojangles307 Boxer Buddy

Just would like to know if anyone here has titled their boxers in schutzhund. Or better yet, is anyone training for schutzhund. I'm trying to do as much research as I can but I keep running into German Shepherd Dog owners telling me i've got the wrong breed (most of them are joking). I've also been to the United States Boxer Association website but their trainers are out of state for me. At this point i just want to find out whether my boy has the temperament to do the training since i've read that Sch prospects should have working titles in their pedigree. anyhow, feel free to respond if you have info or stories on Sch boxers.

2. basak

basak Boxer Insane

Although I don't believe in German boxers are different in SCH then American boxers, most German clubs probably prefer boxers from a German bloodline in SCH.

(The following was written by Cathy for the Northwoods Boxer Club a few years back.)

Mention "Schutzhund" to a group of dog fanciers and you will probably get quite a mixed response. Schutzhund enthusiasts will tell you that it is a dog sport that requires dedication on the part of the trainer, and a dog of exceptional working ability and extremely reliable temperament. It is their extreme reliability and intense working drives that makes the German Boxer so popular for Schutzhund work in their native country. In this country, only a handful of Boxers compete in Schutzhund, and of these, most are German imports or have some German dogs in their background.

Schutzhund developed in Germany around the turn of the century. It's original purpose was to test breeding stock for suitability for police and military work. It is still a required test for some of the working and herding breeds in Germany, Boxers included. The dogs abilities in three areas are tested, these being tracking, advanced obedience work and protection work. It is the third phase of protection work that causes the general public to often misunderstand Schutzhund.

In the tracking phase the dog's performance and concentration are scored, unlike AKC tracking which is strictly pass/fail. A perfect score is 100, and points are deducted for such things as the dog lifting its head from the track, quartering, circling the turns and faulty indication of the dropped articles. In Schutzhund, dogs are taught to indicate the article, usually by doing a "down" when they find one, rather than retrieving it. A minimum of 70 points is required for passing.

3. bojangles307

bojangles307 Boxer Buddy

thanks basak,
    While i too do not believe american bred boxers are different from german, but it's hard for me to make an argument for american schutzhund boxers because i don't know of any. So if there are any Sch boxers from american lines now is the chance to defend the american boxers working abilities.

4. astor

astor Boxer Pal

I know of one, possibly two american breb boxers earning
    schutzhund titles. I first attempted schutzhund with a
    boxer out of AKC comformation lines; most of his 4 gen
    pedigree were champions. When I got my first german
    bred boxer pup the breeder told me that most of his
    customers were people who had tried to compete with
    american bred boxers.

intresting notes:
    while I was working my first dog a respected
    trainer commented to some one else that in his experience
    unregistered boxers were better workers than the
    registered ones.

when I trialed my second dog, german bred, the judge said
    to my face "what do you know a boxer, that actually does
    bite work"

have fun

5. bojangles307

bojangles307 Boxer Buddy

astor nice to hear from you. maybe you could PM me some info on those american boxers getting Sch titles. It's been kind of tough getting in touch with people doing Sch with boxers, especially when it comes to the bitework. I'm kind of curious if conformation line boxers can handle the work or if the owners just prefer not to participate. I've only been able to see videos of Sch dogs and it is really a joy to watch how intense and focused these dogs can get.

6. basak

basak Boxer Insane

I didn't understand this sentence:confused:

7. astor

astor Boxer Pal

Greetings Basak,

The judge was expressing amazement at seeing a boxer doing
    schutzhund bite work; he was seeing it for the first time
    even though he has been a judge and competitor for years.

have fun

8. basak

basak Boxer Insane

oh, ok.. I get it now;)

Why, Ive seen bunch of boxers do the bite work.. it is incredible and so funny boxers in the air:p

basak

9. Marcel

Marcel Boxer Pal

Newby from Burbank

Bojangles, I was wondering if you pursued schutzthund further. I have a young boxer, live in Burbank, can't find a club, and will probably start with obedience and tracking 'til I find a club or helper. I would appreciate any advise you might have.

P.S. You asked about Artemis kibble on another thread. I've been using their Large/Medium Breed Puppy Food and couldn't be happier. Marcel's growth, weight, energy, coat, and overall health is great.

10. Stefan

Stefan Boxer Booster

I'm looking for some more information on Schutz for Apollo, he is very loyal and is definitely capable of some brutal bite work.
    What's a good age to start seriously working with them? I know the younger the better but i want him to know the difference between the bite work and play. I think we have that established now but i don't want to force too much on him. He's 5 mon now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.