Any Pros/Cons to crating two dogs together?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrbotto

Boxer Pal
We have a 7 month old and a 4 month old. They get along very very well and just love to play.

Is there any reason we couldn't put them in the same crate together? They are both females and I heard they could fight at some point, but they are both gentle and seem to love playing all the time. They both also seem to know when they get too rough and stop.

gmacleod

Elusive Moderator
Staff member
Please don't put them in the same crate. Get two crates, and keep them alongside each other. It is much safer.

With the sole exception of a couple of very young puppies, I would not recommend that anyone ever crates dogs together (unattended). The problem is that the dogs have no way then of backing off or backing down from any situation. That causes fights which would otherwise probably never occur. It's a recipe for disaster - and they're already two bitches, which is the combination most likely to have issues in the first place.

Tucker's Mom

Super Boxer
Another reason to keep them separate - if the younger one (or the older for that matter) has an accident, they both have to suffer through it. :(

I crated my pups together for the first few weeks (we got them both at 6 weeks - yeah, I know...bad...but I didn't know any better then) to get them used to the crate and then separated them when we started using the crates for training and confinement when we were away from home. They really are much safer in separate crates.

bznutz1

Boxer Buddy
I like to look at it this way. I have a female boxer and a female min pin about the same ages. They both love each other , share their toys, and play rough. Naturally my min pin gets tired quicker being the much smaller dog. When she has had enough my boxer doesn't necessarily realize it so my min pin will go to her crate to catch a break and because we have crated both separately they each realize that their crates are theirs and don't infringe upon each other there. So it's where she finds her solitude. I don't know if you've ever shared a room with a sibling but I've heard it ain't great. Put yourself in their shoes and you start to realize that everybody and every animal needs some personal space. Don't know what it's worth but that's my two cents. Good luck whatever you decide.

Louie's Mom

Completely Boxer Crazy
seperate

You should definatly keep them in seperate crates, they may be best friends, but if they are in a crate and get into a little fight they will have no room to get away from each other and it will seem to them that the other one isn't backing down, so they will keep fighting and it may end up in seriouse injury and/or death. I know that sounds crazy but if you put them into the same crate and a scuffle breaks out, it is a very real and not that uncommon possibility.

BasilStreets

Boxer Booster
Beside what has already beem mentionned, you want the two dogs to get used to being apart from each other. It is great that they get along well, but you do not want them to become so bonded to each other that they can't function independantly.

Status
Not open for further replies.