Any Horse Owners????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rott N Box

Super Boxer
I'm feeling left out!

I haven't read of anyone else here having a pure Arab. I do, she's 11, bay and freakin' gorgeous! Her name's Calypso. but she answers to Peanut. I took my minipin out the see her (don't have a boxer yet) and she's in a pasture with two other mares, 3 yearlings and 3 weanlings. Tyson (minpin) made sure those horses knew he was boss. He would just run up to them and bark bark bark. My little 8lb minpin thought he was bigger than all of them :rolleyes: Then we went on a trail ride and Ty just had the best time "herding" Calypso. I'm glad my horse is so tolerant or I think I would have had a much flater minpin ;)

zandz

Super Boxer
I have a 6 year old buckskin TB/Paint mare named Annie. Zack has been to the barn a few times, but he's scared to death of the horses so I don't take him any more. Annie doesn't help much either. She hates it if I pay attention to anything besides her so when Zack would come with me to the barn, she would get really mad if I tried to pet him. Banging on the door, pawing, nudging my hands, just about everything she could think of. Yeah, she's just a little spoiled. :rolleyes: :p

jaimet

Boxer Pal
I have 4 horses. They are 17 year old bay Quarterhorse mare, 16 year old line back dun QH mare, 2 year old appendix quarter horse (she's half TB) flashy sorrel mare that's trained to race, and a 4 month old blood bay with white face breeding stock paint colt. One of my mares was artificially inseminated twice this year, but it didn't take either time, so I will be rebreeding her next season. Then, we will have 5!! Pretty convienient that our new barnmaster barn has exactly 5 stalls, right? My husband said I just couldn't stand one being empty and had to fill them all up right off the bat! We just had our new barn built, and it's a barn/house combo. We are finishing out the house part ourselves, so we haven't moved in yet. I am trying to get pictures to put on here so you all can see. I love reading about everyone else's boxer/ horse combos. I agree about adding a forum for horse people.

Tam319

Re: I'm feeling left out!

Originally posted by Rott N Box
Tyson (minpin) made sure those horses knew he was boss. He would just run up to them and bark bark bark. My little 8lb minpin thought he was bigger than all of them :rolleyes: Then we went on a trail ride and Ty just had the best time "herding" Calypso.

hee hee! That is so cute! My little terrier x Tony takes the lead rope in his teeth and leads the horses. It is so cute! NOTHING in the world compares to trail riding your best horse friend with your best dog friends tagging along. That is the best feeling ever!

Tam

Super Boo

Completely Boxer Crazy
What do you do with your dog when you ride?? I board my horse at my trainer's house and she has very kindly put in a small run for "guest dogs". I used to just tie her up so she wouldn't chase me or anything else--she hated that (although she has since learned patience). It really isn't safe to have a Boxer running around because she could spook a horse.

Tam319

I am unable to ride with my dogs anymore since I am boarding. When my horses were at my parent's ranch we would trail ride with the dogs all the time. Our horses have been around dogs forever and they aren't fazed by them. Depends on the dogs and the horses. I have friends who guide hunters and trail riders in the mountains all summer long. Their horses and dogs get along really well and the dogs can even jump up on the saddle with the rider. Again, really depends on the horse and the dog.

Tam

Rott N Box

Super Boxer
Is your horse comfortable with dogs? If so, and you're planning on going on a trailride by yourself, what I do is park by where I'll be leaving from to start the trail, and leave the pup in the car. Then you can get your horse all set and let the dog out just before you go so they don't have time to bother the other horses. Just a thought. That's really cool that your trainer put up a run for other peoples dogs though. I board at a very small cow farm/ horse boarding facility and a dog lives on the property who is more annoying than Tyson, so the horses don't get too worked up about him and his yammering at them. :rolleyes:

Tam319

Another thing to pass along...my horse is used to dogs AND ponying other horses so I combined the two when I was first training my dog to 'trailride' with me. I lead him with the flexileash so he learned to stay within a safe distance. It worked well since my horse wasn't bothered by the dog or flexi. Just a thought. It is a great workout for them.

Oh, and also I saw this article of this type of obedience sort of thing...it is done on horseback and you give the dog commands while riding. Things like stay, and different positions in terms of the horse, etc. I imagine it may have evolved from fox hunting type training or something similar.

Tamara

Super Boo

Completely Boxer Crazy
I would say that very little fazes my horse--I broke him to pull a cart in about a week as a four year old. He never took a second look. He is really dog broke. He is the one that has taught Boo several "gentle" lessons on how to stay out of foot range. "No Boo, you cannot run under a walking horse". He usually just shoves her out of the way with his muzzle.

But, my trainer has a range of broke/unbroke horses and riders. You cannot have dogs running thru the underbrush up above the arena. Boo also has a problem understanding that she cannot run in the arena behind the horses--everybody and everything is still "play" for her.

We also live in a fairly developed area--you would need to walk down a road to get to the trails. So no safe trail riding here.

When at horseshows, I bought a tent crate and now she just goes to sleep when I'm occupied.

We just decided to get a puppy--so I get to start it all over--:rolleyes:

cristletips

Boxer Booster
What are some other good horse treats besides carrots, apples, and polo mints??

Since i spoil Lily with homeade doggie treats, i'd love to give some to Tiga the horse too!

Status
Not open for further replies.