1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any Horse Owners????

Discussion in 'Other Pets' started by Laura McNamara, Jul 31, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tam319

Tam319 Guest

HORSE CRUNCHIES

3 cups pelleted horse grain (soak in 3-4 cups water for 1/2 hour until mushy)
    1 cup bran or cornmeal or alfalfa meal
    1 cup molasses
    1 cup brown sugar
    1 cup corn oil
    1 tsp baking soda
    1 TBSP salt
    2-4 cups flour or oatmeal

Mix all ingredients except flour. Then add flour or oatmeal 1 cup at a time until mix is doughy. Take a softball size amount of dough and roll out on flattened surface until 1/2 inch thick. Use cookie cutter to cut out shapes and decorate with corn, oats or crushed peppermint. Back at 325 F until dry.

MEADOW MUFFINS FOR HORSES
    *makes large batch. Cut down by 1/2 for smaller batch

4 quarts sweet feed
    2 cups bran (or bran cereal)
    2 cups Quaker oats
    1 can frozen apple juice concentrate
    5-6 carrots chopped in food processor
    2-3 cups corn oil
    3 apples chopped in food processor
    2 cups raisins
    1 jar molasses
    1 jar corn syrup
    5 eggs
    2 TBSP baking powder

Add flour and water alternating until you have a cake like batter that is very chunky. Spray muffin tins and drop by spoonful. Don't overfill. Back at 350 F for 10-15 min. Cool.
    OR
    Pour batter onto well-greased pan to make cookie bars. Back 300 F for 30-60 minutes. Cool overnight and cut into bars.

CARROT AND APPLE COOKIES

1 cup sweetfeed
    2 cups bran
    1 cup flax seed
    4 large carrots, shredded
    1 cup molasses
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    1 cup applesauce

Mix molasses, brown sugar, carrots and applesauce in one bowl. Mix dry ingredients in another bowl. Slowly combine wet and dry mixture. Add only enough molasses to form a thick dough, add more bran if needed. Line sheet with tin foil. Drop on batter. Bake at 300 F for one hour, flip and bake another 45 minutes until hard. Keep checking so they don't burn.

HORSE AND DOG COOKIES

500 ml molasses
    1 jar applesauce
    1/2 cup corn or veggie oil
    8 cups oatmeal
    4 cups bran
    1/2 cup salt
    1 1/2 TBSP baking soda
    2 pounds shredded carrots
    10 cups whole wheat flour

Preheat to 350 F. Mix all together and check for cookie consistency. Grease cookie cheets. Drop by spoonful onto cookie sheet. Bake 10 min.

Hope these help. I've got a few more if you are interested.

Tam

2. cristletips

cristletips Boxer Booster

Thanks! They do sound a lot like some of the dog recipes and sure enough there's one at the bottom for both!

I'll get started!

3. Paula

Paula Boxer Booster

I have 5 horses, all in the "backyard." The boss is a 23 yo App mare, Shana. She and I have done many things over the years, weekend trail rides, wagon trains, and drill teams. The next oldest is my daughter's 14 yo paint pony, chocolate brown with dapples and white. He is quite the guy and has, to a lesser degree, done most of what Shana has. CoCo a QH mare, is 10 and has done trail riding and drill teams. She is reluctant to do the lateral work, but slowly we're getting there. CoCo is mostly my husband's horse. The newest additions are a 6 yo breeding stock Paint mare and her 16 month old colt. The mare, Missy, is a red dun with a very good show record, but in all other ways is green broke. She is starting her trail career and doing nicely. The colt, whose name keeps changing, is dark. I thought he was dark bay. The breeder, who studied horse genetics, tells me that he is faded black. You could have fooled me!

The 3 oldest horses all fox hunt. We have a family membership to a local hunt club and it is nice family activity. Missy will start hunting this fall after a few more trail rides. I have to report that the hounds are not obedience trained at all. They are working animals, hunted in a pack. The huntsman uses his voice and the hunting horn to guide, encourage and call them. He has helpers called whippers-in or whips. I have whipped with 2 clubs over the years, but now ride in the field. Shana doesn't like being retired from whipping and thinks the field is for sissies. I am mostly content in the field! So while she does express her continued interest in the hounds and whipping she is obedient and with reluctance stays with the field.

I had not found any horse site comparable to BW. It is the best! I subsection for Boxer owners with horses would be terrific!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.