1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

any advice from adoptees can't decide to buy or adopt

Discussion in 'Adoptions' started by Saara, Apr 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DiverDiva

DiverDiva Boxer Insane

I vote for adoption, too! We adopted Oscar as a puppy that had been rescued from a puppy mill. He is very sweet and easy going. We adopted Mali from a shelter when she when she was 11 months old and she is my little firecracker, the hot TaMali, the devil with(out) a blue dress on, Good Golly Miss Mali! foolicon She requires a lot more effort than Oscar, but they love each other and we wouldn't have it any other way. lovicon

2. moburda

moburda Boxer Booster

I have always been a proponent of adopting. The two dogs I have had in my life were adopted and we adopted Patrick in August of last year. I would hesitate to adopt again, especially if there is no background information on the dog. There are plenty of irresponsible people out there who take on pets and neglect them so badly they cause irreparable damage.

I adopted one of those dogs in August of last year. I don't regret adopting Patrick but his previous owner(s) sure made it difficult for him to acclimate to a "normal" life. Trainer & behaviorist both agree that the best we can do for him is manage his aggression and try to keep him feeling safe.

3. LaylasHumans

LaylasHumans Boxer Buddy

Saara,

ADOPT, ADOPT, ADOPT!!!!! Rescue animals, from my experiences, tend to be more loving than dogs you buy in pet stores...plus you never know when buying a dog if they have health problems. Shelters tend to utilize vets to make sure their animals are given a clean bill of health, or that they know what issues a critter might have.

4. Rbastedo

Rbastedo Boxer Buddy

There seem to be so many really good dogs out there now who need a new home.
    We looked and found that there were several very good Boxers available.
    From the pictures we got we decided to drive 5 hours to see one specific girl.
    Some vet records and breeder records and a black & white printer picture of the dogs parents were available. The previous owners loved the dog but could no longer keep her.

She came to us at 15 months old spayed, having had puppy shots, cropped and bobbed.

She is perfectly house trained and only chews her toys.
    There are issues, but they are minor. She seems to have had some training around food and feeding that we don't do the same so that's a little rough spot for her. We are working with her to overcome this.

We have our big boy Boxer Thatcher whom she practically worships, and he really loves having her around even though she's a total firecracker around him.

I know this is a really ideal situation and many adoptions have way more struggles than this. We're really lucky, and we know it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.