1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

anxious about dauter around my boxer now

Discussion in 'Boxers & Children' started by laneylou, Feb 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. laneylou

laneylou Boxer Pal

right ok, so in August last year my 5 year old daughter got attacked by my Mums labrador and needed 18 stitches in her face :( This hasn't made her scared of dogs at all - it is me! I am constantly telling her to get away from our Boxer Poppy and I feel like I am consantly telling Poppy so get in her bed so she is away from her. I have never thought Poppy would actually harm my daughter - but then i didn't think my mums lab would either. I have never left them un-supervised, but even when I am there I am constantly on edge. My Mums lab is 8, he has seen Lucy a few times a week since she was born and he was usually so placid with her and loved to play and get tummy rubs off her. My daughter was sleeping in my mums at the time of the attack, and Lucy says she stood on his paw by accident when he bit her ..... I feel like I am a bag of nerves :( am I being stupid? I feel so bad for Poppy as she is a good dog (19 months old typical boxer anyway) but I feel like I am making it too hard for her when she hasn't done anything wrong. I considered re-homing her when Lucy came home from hospital if she was scared of her, but as she isnt she still likes to loll over her and play with her - but I don't let her and it makes me sad :( I just don;t know what to do

2. Kisaq

Kisaq Super Boxer

Please forgive me for saying so... but I think you need to see someone (a professional councilor/psychologist/etc) about this for your own sake as well as your daughter and your dog. Your fears will eventually make your daughter afraid - or worse. And that would be a terrible shame.

Your Mom's lab is getting on in age, and older dogs often become less tolerant or less in control of their reactions to sudden unexpected things like pain. Your mom might want to take her dog to the vet to check for other issues. It's quite possible she can get some medication that will help her dog feel better (they hide their discomforts so well we often don't know about them until an incident like this happens).

Your fear is valid ... the trauma was real ... you are not being stupid ... and I'm so sorry you and your daughter had to go through this. But your fears are gaining control over you. That is not good and it will begin to effect other parts of your life if you don't get a handle on it. The sooner the better. PTSD is a real thing and it compounds upon itself in ways you are completely unaware of... (now you may or may not actually have PTSD, which is a physiological reaction in the brain - but the result is the same).

Nothing wrong with seeking help from a professional. And if you're smart, you will allow YOUR dog to play a BIG role in getting over your fear. You may find that your bond with your dog will become very very strong as a result and that is never a bad thing.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.