Another fear stage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lola's mum

Boxer Insane
For the past couple of weeks Capser has been really quite edgey.
The slightest noise outside and he's off barking and up at the windows, any carrier bags on the floor whilst on walks and he gets jumpy etc. He was 2 in January so should be over the fear stages by now.
Earlier when I was taking a large empty box to the garden he freaked and I mean freaked. I was pulling it along slowly as it was heavy even though empty, Casper jumped onto the chair in the conservatory and as I went past him he jumped over the back of the chair in blind panic and onto the window sill breaking the chain link on my blinds and getting himself all tangled up.
I'd also stood the broom in a different place as it usually is and he got all scared and ran past it.
He's become all nervous of things.

Any ideas as to what's going on with him?

baxtercruz

Boxer Booster
Well, this isn't any help, but Baxter is 3, and he can still be nervous and apprehensive at times. In general, he has mellowed as he's gotten older, but anything large and board-like he will bark at and/or be scared of. My boyfriend's surf and snowboards (which he sees all the time- but if he's carrying them- it's a problem), the ironing board was a HUGE issue, big gear bags for dirt bike stuff.. the list goes on... I was washing dishes the other day, and one slipped in the sink and made a loud noise- my boyfriend Justin saw Baxter jump sideways up and over the couch!

And he is very protective when Justin is not home and it's just me and him... he's always thinking he hears a noise outside and is up barking and growling - I know he's being jumpy, but sometimes it freaks me out like someone might be there! When we walk on sidewalks- he jumps to the side almost knocking me over to avoid any grates or manhole covers... it's endless, really...

Anyway, sorry so long... but if it's something I can control and show him it's not going to hurt him- like let him come over and smell and pet him to show it's ok... I try to do that and then he's fine. Other than that, I try not to react, because I read that babying them when they're scared only reinforces that reaction. He's just a very cautious boy!

Lola's mum

Boxer Insane
I know what you mean because Lola my eldest is a nervous dog but Casper wasn't like this. In fact Casper is now worse than Lola, she's getting braver and he's getting worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.