Another Bad Day At the Dog Park

Status
Not open for further replies.

beasleymom

Super Boxer
Beasley and I had such a rough go with our dog park experiences when we first got him, and we haven't been back. We've done much better just getting together with other dog owners for more individual play dates and now that our back yard is fenced he 's got a lot more burn room anyway. Unfortunately, a lot of the people at dog parks don't understand that vocal play is completely normal for a Boxer - and for dogs in general. Dogs don't just sit around a table smoking cigars and playing cards... ;)

Linda/NJ

Boxer Insane
I am sorry to hear Murray had another bad experience at the dog park. I don't have any advice since I don't take Ginger to a dog park. I am just afraid of stuff like that happening. So glad Murray is ok.

Linda & Ginger

Steven Menk

Super Boxer
My Cosworth (12 weeks) loves the dog park. He loves to play with bigger dogs and wrestle around. The first time I was there there was a good sized bull dog that was wrestling with him pretty roughly. The dog's owner came over and made him stop. Cosworth jumped up, danced around, and boxed the other dog until he started wrestling with him again. If he likes it rough then I guess its okay with me.

On the other hand there's a dog that shows up every once and a while that is overly dominant. I usually leave when he shows up. Its so much fun for Cosworth, not to mention works some of that bottomless pit of energy off, that I think its worth the occational bad dog to give him the fun and socialization he needs.

sashamom

Boxer Insane
I guess we are lucky as we have only had one incident in the last year....and it was really nothing more than a jack russell just terrorizing my Sasha the whole time we were there...However we do go during the week in the afternoon....there are usually no more than 20-30 dogs there....but i have to admit...they are all well supervised by their owners....We all watch our for what our 'kids' are doing!! Poor Murray...i feel so bad for him!! Try going in the off hours and see what happens!! Good luck!!
Sasha, Telmar and Lisa

Steven Menk

Super Boxer
sashamom said:
I guess we are lucky as we have only had one incident in the last year....and it was really nothing more than a jack russell just terrorizing my Sasha the whole time we were there...

Jack Russles seem to get "little dog syndrome" a lot. When ever there is some sort of goings on at the dog park its almost always because one of those guys won't leave a bigger dog alone.

LokiGem

Super Boxer
We had a bad Jack Russel experience at the park too. I really hate those little bastards! :mad: ...no offense.

Try regular parks and setting up play dates. That way you can have more control of the type of people & dogs that your boxer will encounter. :)

bikerchic

Boxer Buddy
Ozric was attacked at the bark park here in Phoenix last year. It was one of the scariest experiences I've had. I thought he was going to be killed. He's very mellow and not at all agressive. He and this other dog had been playing and then all of the sudden the other dog freaked out and locked his jaw on ozrics neck.

Luckily my boyfriend Aron was right there (the woman who owned the dog did nothing except freak out - she was scared of her own dog). Aron wrestled the other dog to the ground (he was half pit half Am Staff) and put him in an increasingly tight choke hold until he finally released. Once the dog was separated from my babies neck the owner simply apologized and left. Meanwhile all of the other caring responsible dog owners in the park were at my side with cell phones and emergency vet phone #s. We kept Ozric laying down for a few minutes because we weren't sure if he was in shock. He was bleeding from his neck and ear and had defecated during the attack also (it literally scared the crap out of him). We show up at the vets office covered in poop and blood and they get him all stitched up.

Thank goodness I've got an amazing man who put his life on the line for our furbaby (he came out with just some scratches) and a pretty resiliant dog who can pull through just about anything.
Needless to say - we don't go to the bark park anymore. A dog was killed at the same park just last month. Ozric has two fur-sisters and a big back yard to play in so that will have to suffice.

lorioniris

Boxer Buddy
Linda,

Have you considered a brother or sister for Murray? I have Ramses and two Boston Terriers, Blackie and Mary Jane. Although I have great interaction with each of them every day, what they really love is the interaction with one another. They have so much fun together.

Just a suggestion.

Status
Not open for further replies.