Anesthesia??????

Status
Not open for further replies.

carrie

Boxer Buddy
Hello there everyone...Whitter is coming up on six months old now and is appointed to have his surgery to lose his manhood on this coming Friday...I was concerned about the Anesthesia my vet will be using...I have already requested, actually insisted, that he does not use ACE....he gave me some info on a new Inhaled Anesthetic...it's called "SEVOFLO" (sevoflurane)....i haven't heard of it before and was just wondering if any one knows anything about it that i should know before i take Whitter in for his surgery....I'm so nervous for him ....any info or comments would be greatly appreciated....thanx :)

xenolith

Boxer Booster
I am not sure if sevoflurane is what was used on Kira when she was spayed or not. I know it was some inhaled anesthesia, but not sure what. She had no problems with it and the vet said as soon as they removed the gas, she started getting up and within minutes was walking around. Im sure some others on here will be able to help you more. :)

pep0987

Super Boxer
Good luck with you. Bailey lost his man hood about 2 weeks ago. Sorry I can't be of any help. I really don't know what they used on Bailey all I know is that they didn't use ACE.:cool:

Carla

Boxer Buddy
Cassius was put to sleep at 11 week when I had his ears cropped I don't know what they used but he was just fine. He was put to sleep again when he was neutered and it was a major sugery because he was chriptorcid I don't know if I spelled that right and he was fine again so I wouldn't worry!!!!!

~Carla~

alaska

Boxer Booster
The major anesthetic drugs used in veterinary practice are halothane or Isoflurane, I wonder if the anesthesia you are talking about is just another name for these two main drugs, cause isoflurane is sold under different manufacturer names, like iso flo, flo vet, etc.
Both of these drugs are very similar, however ANY anesthetic is dangerous and risky, if an animal has an underlying health problem, and goes under anesthetic, he may die. so I would advise getting a preanesthetic blood panel to make sure he is in good shape, you can't always tell if something internally is wrong, until you do blood work. Better to be safe than sorry.
most vets usually give a sedetive prior to giving the inhalent anesthetic, this is usually when ACE is given, it calms the animal down, so he doesn't fight you when you go to put a mask on his face, I would ask you vet if they give sedetives prior to anesthesia, and what they give. if it is not ace, it is probably valium.
good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.