1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anal Gland Secretion??? Ugghhh!!!!

Discussion in 'Boxer Anatomy and Physiology' started by iluvmaxie, Aug 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cindy Creel

Cindy Creel Boxer Insane

The stray that I adopted had the same problem. We had them removed when he was neutered.

2. totallyhip

totallyhip Boxer Insane

Wow good to know. I must have misunderstood the vet. I thought he said only male's have them. I gonna check out some of those sites online and see how it is actually done. Thanks:)

3. totallyhip

totallyhip Boxer Insane

4. rockytide

rockytide Boxer Pal

Anal Gland Problems

We have a Lab who occasionally has had impacted anal glands and what a mess YUCK. Our vet suggested a food higher in fiber, and to given him a handful of Kelloggs All Bran cereal to add to his diet. We have tried both and this seems to work for us. So far our Boxer pup does not seem to have this problem, and if she does we will try the All Bran cereal for her too.

Hope this helps.

Abbey's Mom

5. lisabethshaw

lisabethshaw Boxer Booster

Anal Gland Removal?

Hi.

I noticed someone in this post said they had their dog's anal glands removed.

My husband's grandmother has suggested this and my husband has really been considering it. We don't have problems too often, but every few months our baby gets overexcited or scared and secretes that horribly fishy smell!

I really don't want to put anyone through unnecessary surgery and it seems to me that these glands are there because they serve a purpose.

If anyone can offer any advice, insight, information, commiseration, etc. I would really appreciate it!

Happy Holidays!

Lisa

6. boxer

boxer Boxer Insane

Well, dogs are designed to excrete a little bit from their anal glands every time they have a bowel movement. It's like leaving a signature or calling card with every poop... and why dogs spend so much time sniffing each others poop and behinds.

The problem with the diets (ie. kibble and other foods high in grains) we humans feed our pets is that the resulting poop is rather softer than it would be if the dog ate its natural diet of meat and bones. And sometimes that softer poop isn't firm enough to cause the anal glands to express a little bit with every bowel movement. Anyway, the end result can be a build up of anal gland fluid that can become impacted, has to be expressed 'manually' (eeeww) or else is expressed by the dog in one great stinky go.

Removal of the anal glands probably isn't going to cause any problems - though possibly other dogs will find it difficult to relate to a dog with no 'signature' at its rear end. That could be good, or could be bad, I guess.

With most dogs, the problem doesn't require surgery, but can be solved just by changing its diet to something that produces a more natural (ie. hard) stool ;)

7. lisabethshaw

lisabethshaw Boxer Booster

Thanks!

Thanks, Boxer! I read in another thread that adding a little bran to their diets helps. Shiva's stools are already pretty hard, I think, but its worth a try!

Lisa

8. sandy's mom

sandy's mom Boxer Insane

Both of mine have had this problem.
    My vet told me to add pumpkin to their diet.
    They get about 2tablespoons every other day as a treat.
    I have been doing this for about 2 months now and it seems to be doing the trick.

Good Luck
    Debbie

9. heartsong12

heartsong12 Boxer Booster

If you are going to add can pumkin to thier diet be sure that you don't get the pumkin pie mix. It has extra stuff in it that your dog does not need on a regular basis.
    My last dog had cronic impacted glands. There is two ways to express them. The first is what groomer does and that is the press on the glands externally. If your dog has an impact glands in most cases expressing them this way will keep in under controll. But unfortunally not always. They other way, which I think most of you are talking about is an internally express. This can be dangerous if not done correctly. Not difficult but tricky. My vet said he has had case of dog that the owners had done this procedure incorrectly and then had cause damange to the dog. My cocker spaniel's were really bad. (smaller breeds have more problems, because as we breed dog to be smaller thier gland don't alway get smaller) I alway took my dog in. It can be messy, but since she went to the groomers every two weeks and still had problems her had to be express interally every 6-8 weeks.

10. Laila63139

Laila63139 Boxer Booster

Oh yes they do... Just ask my bf's mom who has Gracie, (a pure-bred English Springer Spaniel); they lived with the stink for months just thinking it was dog-smell before the vet relieved them-- and Gracie too!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.