1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anal Gland Secretion??? Ugghhh!!!!

Discussion in 'Boxer Anatomy and Physiology' started by iluvmaxie, Aug 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iluvmaxie

iluvmaxie Boxer Pal

Hello All,

Maxie lets out a really horrible smell every so often. I have been told it is the anal glands. I know that some groomers include squeezing the anal glands during a groom, but i dont take her to the groomer. I took her once and she broke out in hives. Anyway.......

Does anyone else have issues with this? What have you done to control it?
    It really smells!!!

Linda

2. kassa

kassa Boxer Insane

It's something you can learn to do yourself (express the anal glands) if it's an ongoing issue for your dog. Ask your vet to show you. You will want to wear gloves and drape the area where you're working, but at least if you do it YOU'LL be in control of the timing.

Most dogs do it naturally while defecating, but some do get build up and need relief.

Kathryn Saxon
    Daisax Boxers

3. Leia

Leia Boxer Pal

Stinky Odor

We also have this problem with one of our boxers. We take him to the vet about every 6-8 weeks to have the sacs drained. My vet charges a very small fee to do this horrible smelling job. Personally, I would rather him drain the sacs because the "fluid" that drains is dreadful smelling and it squirts- trying not to be too gross, but honest. I would rather pay a professional and then I don't have to worry about doing it wrong nor do I have to worry about the clean-up process. I had no idea what was wrong with Caesar at first until I did some research. Once the sacs become filled with fluid- watch out- the smell is awful- I know it is time to have them expressed!

4. Oscar's Mom

Oscar's Mom Super Boxer

I was wondering about this topic as well. Our dog Oscar had knee surgery last week and since we've had him home he has had some drainage after he poos and sometimes after he pees. Is the fluid that builds up like poo or is it some other consistency?
    And Oscar hates to have his bum messed with so it's a task just trying to wipe it.

Myra

5. FarleyBoxer

FarleyBoxer BANNED

You may also want to examine what your pup is eating. In other words, firmer stools mean the sacs are more likely to be expressed naturally each time the dog 'goes.' At least, this is what I have read on this subject.

Camille

6. totallyhip

totallyhip Boxer Insane

kinda gross - sorry

I didn't know about this until Luke started acting very strange one day. He was scraping his butt on the lawn and trying to lick his butt alot, so I took him to the vet. Vet checked him out and he was ok. He said that it was prob his anal sacs and they would try to release it for him. Apparently the liquid that is released when they poop is a scent thing they use to mark territory - only in male dogs, cats & skunks. They need to release it every time they poo, otherwise it gets clogged up and becomes really uncomfortable for them. When the vet mentioned this I thought about it and realized that I hadn't seen any liquid coming out after Luke pooped for a few days. If you don't drain them once in a while it coould become dangerous to the dog and they could get seriously ill. It is actually a light brown liquid (but not poop) that is drips out after each poo. I learned this one the hard way. The vet was showing me how it is done. As I was going in for a closer look the anal sac actually released (and got a full face view of it.... if you know what I mean). It made a hell of a mess everywhere and quite the stink. After all that I never did see how the vet actually did it. Altho I have heard some people do it themselves, I would rather pay the vet the money to do it. :)

7. Amanda22

Amanda22 Boxer Booster

So, female dogs don't have these? I thought they did. Anyone know for sure?

Amanda

8. MinPin2Boxer

MinPin2Boxer Super Boxer

Yes I'd say females have them too since my little minpin Sage had problems with hers one time. Not a pretty sight. Hers actually burst and created a huge crater. I had to get it cleaned out and gave her antibotics for awhile to help with the infection. I realized after talking with the vet that it was because she was having very loose stools at the time and they weren't getting cleaned on there own. If you think your dog is having problems with it take her to the vet, you don't want it getting worse.

9. kassa

kassa Boxer Insane

Yes, bitches have them too.

10. Lousabelle

Lousabelle Boxer Pal

Anal sacs

I will also say that it is very simple to do....you can either get the vet to tell you how or you can learn online....I found a site with photos and it was a step by step diagram and we managed it the first time out...Personally I would rather not spend the money on something this simple to handle but it is stinky and can shoot out in an impressive projectile so watch the angle of the tush when you are doing it.
    And yes, we have a male and female and they both need to have it done from time to time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.