1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

American VS German

Discussion in 'Boxer Standard' started by Brick, Jan 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brick

Brick Boxer Pal

Hi. I am new to this site. I have an 8 1/2 month old, 60 lb. male boxer named Brick. He is an absolute joy (when he isn't eating my shoes!!). My question is, someone asked my husband the other day if we had a German boxer or an American. We had never heard of this. They said we had a German one when he answered some of their questions. Does anyone know if this is true and what the difference is? Thank you.:confused:

2. Loke

Loke Guest

Hi! I can't really tell you the difference since I'm no expert but I did meet someone who said their boxers were German. All I can say is Loke was taller and skinny compared to his 2 which were short and very built and broad. I don't know anything else other than that so I look forward to more knowledgable responses to your question. Welcome to the board!:D

3. None-removed

None-removed Guest

I am going to move this thread to Breed Standard Forum.

The only diffeence between German and American boxers is which passport they carry. :D

4. JulieM

JulieM Boxer Insane

Cubby's response is about exactly right :) It can be argued that "German" Boxers are more stout and bulky, but really there are different styles of dogs in both countries and to assume that one style is from a certain country is unwise at best.

If your dog is from North American lines, you could call him a "North American Boxer." If your dog is from German lines, you could call him a "German Boxer" (although I personally ;) would prefer if you called him a Boxer from NA or German lines - unless he was born in Germany, in which case he'd be a citizen :D)

5. PawPrintBoxers

PawPrintBoxers Banned

German or American?

:LOL: I love this answer!
    I see too many BYB's advertise German Boxers but just because you put "von" in their name does not mean they are German.

American Boxers, just as true German Boxers, come in different builds and conformations. All in all they are still the same medium sized dog with a giant sized heart :)

6. Michael&Cass

Michael&Cass Boxer Pal

Hi, when I got Rocky, the breeder said that he breed his german bitch with an american dog. I asked him what the difference was and he said that the main difference was that the american boxer has a longer nose and the german's nose is more pushed up.
    Hope that helps.

7. PawPrintBoxers

PawPrintBoxers Banned

Your breeder is mistaken. A poorly bred Boxer may have a longer regardless of which country they were bred in. I have several American Champion Boxers and they have lovely correct heads :)

8. DMB

DMB Boxer Buddy

I ran across this in my research awhile back and saved it in my favorites.

Article

9. PawPrintBoxers

PawPrintBoxers Banned

LOL---well, my answer to that very biased "article" is: You are entitled to your opinion.

To be honest, that is not a true article. It is a personal person's webpage with their own personal thoughts and ideas. Nothing more and nothing less.

Personally, I prefer reading how someone is working to improve their own dogs and breedings versus talking down other people's. Don't you agree? :D

10. DMB

DMB Boxer Buddy

Christina,

I can understand why that article may have offended you, it is human nature to defend ones position as you have, because it would be unbearable to find that ones believes are indeed fallible. It is much easier for me to objectively read and process information, wade through the rubbish and logically decipher well-made points because I have not committed myself to a certain preconceived context or opinion. I am also not emotionally or financially strapped to a certain bias and therefore have no need to place a value judgment one way or the other.

I have posted this link for educational purposes only; take what you can from the article, which is indeed a copy written piece of work by Carolina Nadal Fuentes. Coincidentally this is not her “personal web page” but undoubtedly her “thoughts and ideas,” of which I cannot substantiate the research validity pro or con. I also have absolutely no desire nor the time to research and dissect her writings.

I will say there are some pretty impressive dogs in gallery #5 and I agree whole-heartedly with your last comment!

Have a great evening!:D
    Dan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.