American or English boxer? LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

lisathorp

Boxer Buddy
Ok, my dad and I both have boxers. It seems everytime they see my boxer it's like "he is so huge, look at his big feet. His tail is a little longer than my boxers" and the list goes on. *sigh* Their boxer is 2 years and mine is about 7 months. There boxers is about 50 pounds he is pretty stalky. My dad tells me he is a smaller breed of boxer. I knew that boxer size varies a lot, that is because poore breeding. I have seen big boxers with little unproportional heads, I have seen little stalky ones, and other that seem to be more tall. Not to say anything bad about those boxers at all"I love all boxers :)" I just figured all that was most likely poore breeding. My Ceasar is the right size for his age I know there is nothing bazaar about him anyway. My dad called me today and was like you know what kind of dog you got? I said what? he said you have an American boxer, I asked the vet. He also said the vet told him he had an English boxer. I just agreed and said yeah lol I didnt want to get into it. I know boxers are a German breed, so I figured thats all they can really be?? Right? I thought all the talk about American or English or whatever is just bull. I dont know. I just had to get this off my chest lol WHAT IS THE BIG DEAL ABOUT MY BOXER! Gosh I dont know why they do that lol. My dad gives me no credit, i mean I took a Vet. Assistant program and they treat me like an idiot about dogs, I mean I dont claim to know everything, but I like to think I learned something LOL
Sorry this was so long! you guys are always so helpful!! Thanks everyone!!

Caney Creek

Boxer Insane
I thought all the talk about American or English or whatever is just bull.

It is :) There seem to be some noticeable differences in the boxer's build in other parts of the world, but they're all just boxers. I suppose if the dog was actually bred in that area of the world, it might make more sense to call it a "British boxer" or a "Brazilian boxer" or whatever, but if his dog wasn't actually bred and then shipped over from England, then it's not "English" ;)

Size can vary a lot, even in good breeding. Just 2 weeks ago I met the "keeper" pup from the Caney's mom's second litter -- a beautiful 1 yr old female -- and she can't possibly weigh more than 45 lbs. Their mom weighs 54 lbs, and Caney tips the scale at 65 lbs! The two litters (Caney's and the other pup's) were sired by different dogs, both Champion titled though. Big does not necessarily mean bad :) The AKC boxer standard states that "roper balance and quality in the individual should be of primary importance since there is no size disqualification."

Another good site on the different "types" of boxers around the world:
http://www.worldwideboxer.com/style.html

Last edited:

lisathorp

Boxer Buddy
It is :) There seem to be some noticeable differences in the boxer's build in other parts of the world, but they're all just boxers. I suppose if the dog was actually bred in that area of the world, it might make more sense to call it a "British boxer" or a "Brazilian boxer" or whatever, but if his dog wasn't actually bred and then shipped over from England, then it's not "English" ;)

Size can vary a lot, even in good breeding. Just 2 weeks ago I met the "keeper" pup from the Caney's mom's second litter -- a beautiful 1 yr old female -- and she can't possibly weigh more than 45 lbs. Their mom weighs 54 lbs, and Caney tips the scale at 65 lbs! The two litters (Caney's and the other pup's) were sired by different dogs, both Champion titled though. Big does not necessarily mean bad :) The AKC boxer standard states that "roper balance and quality in the individual should be of primary importance since there is no size disqualification."

Another good site on the different "types" of boxers around the world:
http://www.worldwideboxer.com/style.html

I totally agree with you! I just wish my dad and step mom, would leave Ceasar alone. Just because he is not exactly like their boxer.... O well I guess LOL It really doesnt matter. As long as they are happy and healthy.
I love your avatar picture of Caney, what a cutie!! Take care

Kilby'sMum

Super Boxer
I'm pretty sure they all have to fit the same standard and we love them all the same but I do remember our breeder saying something about one of our pups is from an English bloodline and one American although I can't remember which way around it was BUT our girls have the same sire and there is a big difference in their size, Kona (our youngest) seems much more solid and Kilby is quite petit. I think Kona looks super cute with her big paws and tree-trunk legs though!

Status
Not open for further replies.