1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alternating foods?

Discussion in 'Feeding' started by Chester UK, Jan 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chester UK

Chester UK Boxer Buddy

Hi i have read some posts here recomending alternating your boxers food. I have recently changed chester from iams to solid gold doggy flakes which he really seems to like, as this is about the best i can get for him i thought about offering the other solid gold foods wolfking & their holistic blend. i really wanting to know if this isd a good idea and how long you feed a type of food before changing??

many thanks ian

2. gmacleod

gmacleod Elusive Moderator Staff Member

Changing foods every so often really is a good idea. There's no one food in existence that "has it all" and in any case, dogs aren't designed to eat the same thing day in and day out any more than we are. A change now and again helps to avoid them getting bored with their food (which is quite understandable - I'd hate to eat the same thing for a week, let alone for months). Most importantly though, it is thought that feeding a wide variety of different foods, preferably from a young age, can help to prevent allergies occuring (just the same advice as is given for people). There are a few extreme cases where you're instantly allergic to something, but more commonly allergies are something that build up over time, with constant exposure for an extended period. The surest way to develop an allergy to chicken, for example, is to eat it every single day for a long time.

Anyway: yes, rotating through different foods every so often is a good idea. If possible, that really means changing the main protein source - it is of limited benefit to change from one lamb based food to another, for example. Better that the next food is beef, or chicken, or fish - anything except the lamb you're changing from. The wolfking would be a perfectly good choice for a change. That one is based on beef, so would give your dog a nice change from the lamb formula.

As for how often to change foods, well, that really depends on you and your dog. Some dogs have the sort of cast iron stomach that isn't upset in the least by a food change, even a cold-turkey one. And their owners might choose to swap foods every time the bag runs out.

At the other end of the scale are the ultra-sensitive dogs who get tummy troubles and diarrhoea the moment a food change is mentioned. For them, food changes have to be accomplished on a gradual basis, mixing the two foods and very slowly increasing the ratio of new food to old, until finally they're settled on the new food. Since it's such a drama, their owners might choose only to switch a couple of times a year.

Most dogs are closer to the cast-iron end of the spectrum, but can be upset if the food change is too fast. So it's accomplished over a period of about a week, mixing the two foods together. And you can really change as often as you like. My suggestion would be changing every couple of bags of food, or every month or so.

3. Chester UK

Chester UK Boxer Buddy

thanks again for the advice can i also feed meat aswell as dry food aslong as its not in the same meal? i was thinking of getting some of the frozen packs from the mincedtripe link u gave me as it seems really good value or maybe some canned food saw some called bozita from sweden that looked ok. Just want him to have the best and start putting a little weight on, thought abut the barf idea but not sure if it is for me??

once again for the advice id be lost without you and this forum !!

4. gmacleod

gmacleod Elusive Moderator Staff Member

No idea on the Bozita - but raw food is generally better than canned anyway. Because it's raw, it's more nutritious.

Yes, you could certainly feed him raw and kibble, just do it a separate meals rather than combining them in the same one. A nice variety of different meats, some offal and tripe would be excellent additions to his diet :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.