1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Almost ready to try again

Discussion in 'Adoptions' started by vitalsignusa, Feb 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vitalsignusa

vitalsignusa Boxer Booster

As most of you know I lost my boy Sawyer to Lymphoma on 08/13/07. My husband swore up and down that he didn't want another dog. My daughter said the same thing. Lately my hubby keeps playing with Luna and says that its not the same,...Luna is mine and Codi's and that he misses his boy. I asked him point blank if he wants to adopt another Boxer and he said yea but not before spring. The problem is he doesn't want to go through the hassel of re-applying through the organization we went through before (although I didn't think it was that bad at all compared to some of the horror stories I've heard from others). He says that they trusted us enough before and that we are taking great care of Luna so they should automatically trust us again. I've tried to explain that its not that easy, that many people have life-changing events happen between adoptions and that though we qualified before we may not now but maybe he's just got a hard head and it just doesn't get through???? We've looked at other sites as well but then we would have to apply with another rescue and work with new people. Have any advice??

2. angleheart

angleheart Completely Boxer Crazy

I would suggest a good place to start would be to first call the people you got Luna from. You already have a relationship with them somewhat, tell them your situation and see what they say. If your circumstances haven't changed a whole lot, mabye it will be easier than ya think :)

3. tastubbs

tastubbs Boxer Insane

I adopted a second boxer from the same rescue and it was somewhat easier/faster, but I still had to go through the same process. It sounds like you fully appreciate the need for the screenings. Maybe your husband does not like the suspense of waiting? Would he mind if you just took care of everything until its time to go meet another boxer? It's great that you are thinking about it again. Good luck!

4. kayboxer

kayboxer Boxer Insane

As the others suggested, I would try the rescue where you got Luna from. Maybe they will work with you since you already have one from them. You could also check the Humane Society's in your state or area to see if they have any boxers up for adoption. Good luck and I hope you find the perfect boy for your husband. :)

5. Claudia807

Claudia807 Completely Boxer Crazy

Our rescue almost always automatically approves former adopters. Frankly, when a former adopter comes back for a second, third, or fourth dog, it actually saves us some paperwork and phone calls (we don't need to call their personal reference again, for example). We're always happy to have former adopters back.

6. catcrazy56

catcrazy56 Boxer Insane

Our Rescue would put you ahead of the waiting list contact the adoption co-ordinator of the rescue you used before and let them know I know with us there are a lot of caring people and we are happy to give a dog a home to a family we know has been good. We even contacted previous adopters just recently because we had a litter of puppies that came from a puppymill rescue that was pregnant (now my Ruby)when she came into rescue and we gave previous adopters who had recently lost their boxer first choice and 5 of the 7 went to these homes don't judge your rescue we get tons of applicants and it takes a while to weed thru everyone before we find the right people and you were chosen before contact the adoption co-ordinator

7. jmurphy

jmurphy Boxer Booster

I am fostering two wonderful dogs from an organization that covers the northeaster coast. An application and phone visit plus three references are required but it is not painful at all. Plus I liked knowing that they were going thru this much trouble for the dogs. They also work with placing them in a home where they will fit in comfortably. I don't think I can post the websit here but if you google it you can find them

8. vitalsignusa

vitalsignusa Boxer Booster

I think we are getting there. I have ALL the rescues on my favorites list including BBRI where we got our Sawyer and Luna. Well, he was on-line last night checking out the pups. Here's to hoping he's almost there!! Thanks to everyone

9. angleheart

angleheart Completely Boxer Crazy

Woohoo! Yeah, I would say if he's lookin, then you're halfway there :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.