Albino boxers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linda

Boxer Insane
I was wondering is there are any albino boxers?

I know albino is a lack of pigment (white coat, pink eyes). And I know white boxers are not albino.

We were camping this weekend and I was walking Remy. I heard some neighboring campers talking as we walked past. I heard "dog" "pure white," so I looked over toward them. They asked what breed Remy was, and I told them boxer. As I walked away, I heard them say "albino." Now I'm curious if there is any incident of albino boxers, although I've never heard of it. (But then again, until shortly before we got Remy, I'd never heard of a white boxer either. :o )

P.S. I apologize if this is a repeated question. I did search for "albino," but didn't find the answer to this question.

JulieM

Boxer Insane
I suppose it's not impossible for an albino Boxer to show up, but I've never heard of it, either. It would be the result of a genetic mutation, as is the case with white Dobermans.

Linda

Boxer Insane
Julie,
Thanks for the response. I would guess if albino boxers ever occur, it is VERY rare.

An albino doberman? I would think that would make for an "interesting" looking dog. :p

Linda

Boxer Insane
Thanks for the site

Originally posted by Adelle
To see a photo of a white Albino Dobe go to this website, a very interesting but cute dog. http://www.whitedoberman.org/indexa.html

Thanks for the link. I did not realize there were white dobes. Apparently they are looked upon much the same as our white boxers--not breed standard--some discrimination against them.

However, the page does state:
"The white doberman is not a true albino since it does have coloration to the coat, and the eyes are blue; a true albino has red eyes."

JulieM

Boxer Insane
However, the page does state:
"The white doberman is not a true albino since it does have coloration to the coat, and the eyes are blue; a true albino has red eyes."

White Dobermans are tyrosinase-positive albinos, or "partial albinos". Partial albinos often have some coat pigmentation. And even some "true albinos" (tyrosinase-negative) have blue eyes. The white coloring is still caused by albinism, and not an extreme marking pattern as in the Boxer or Greyhound.

More to the point, the DPCA has done extensive research, breeding trials, and surveying of white Dobermans and has found significant evidence of health and temperament problems associated with the albino trait.

Please visit this site http://www.geocities.com/~amazondoc/albinism/ for an *extremely* thorough discussion of albinism, in Dobermans specifically and mammals in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.