Airline Crate Help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Widges

Completely Boxer Crazy
Hi Guys - I hoping that someone on here will be able to offer me some advice.

Billy is crate trained - in his big wire crate. I have put that one away and now am trying to get him used to and comfortable in his flight crate. He will not go near it, he barks at it, backs away from it and just will not go into it in on his own.

I have been trying treats thrown to the rear of it but they just stay there, I have also tried his food at the back but he would rather go hungry - I left it there all day hoping he would eventually go in.

Any Ideas?

DiverDiva

Boxer Insane
Start by feeding him in the same room as the new crate, on the far side of the room, if that's what it takes. Play with him, using his favorite toy, in the same room as the new crate. Make that the only time he plays with that favorite toy. Schedule his life so that the best things that happen, happen in the room with the crate. Work up to feeding him next to crate, then, when he is eating next to the crate, try putting the bowl just inside the crate. Gradually move the bowl back, so eventually, he is entirely in the crate for his meal. Think baby steps. Good luck.

Widges

Completely Boxer Crazy
DiverDiva - Thanks for your reply. I have been feeding him beside his crate for the past month or so. His crate is in the family room so he gets lots of hugs, plays with toys and has a great time in the room seeing the crate already.
I will start feeding him just inside the door and will gradually move it back. I have got 6 months to get him used to it - I want him to want to go in there and be happy inside it, he has an 11 flight in it!!

EAO76

Boxer Insane
A great way to break the ice is clicker training. Have you ever used a clicker with him? For some reason the clicker is calming to dogs & by pairing it with treats you can get him to like his crate in no time.

I would start by clicking & giving him a treat every time he looks at the crate (click as soon as he looks at it). Keep doing it over & over. Then once he looks at it and is expecting the treat I would up the anti by clicking & treating every time he goes in the direction of the crate. Then work up to sniffing the crate & eventually going into the crate.

You might need to move the crate into a room that he doesn’t normally go into. That way you can control the situation and set up “training” sessions. Otherwise if you are not ready he will be brave & sniff the crate but you will miss it and it will undo the previous training.

My trainer used this method to get her dog to like to kayak. Once he actually stood on the kayak she clicked & gave him a “jackpot” of treats. He thought the whole thing was a super fun game and grew to love the kayak in a matter of hours.

tianthai

Completely Boxer Crazy
I went thru airline crate training last year when we moved from Singapore to Dubai. Now I am in the middle of airline crate training again as we are moving again from Dubai to Singapore. My dog also barks at the crate. He does not like it at all. I am not sure if he still remember it from his last year move but I doubt it.
1. Put the crate near a place where he most of the time sits and relax
2. Put yourself into the crate and call him to come in with you (not successful the first day but later day)
3. Put some of his "beloved" toys inside and encourage him to go in (he usually leans to get them without putting any paws in the crate, after a while he puts his front paws in the crate to reach the toys)
4. Put some raw meat in the crate and tell him to get in.
5. He will get in because of raw meat, you need a lot of raw meat
6. Eventually he gets in to get raw meat and you can ask him to sit and lie down in the crate
7. Don't train him too long (just 5-10 minutes each time but more times a day)
8. This happens after 2 to 3 weeks.

Widges

Completely Boxer Crazy
Thanks you all for taking the time to reply. We has a breakthrough today - Billy walked into his crate on his own, no bribes at all. I am so pleased with him. Now I will start to build up the time that he goes in.

tianthai

Completely Boxer Crazy
Wow, such a good dog. I am still bribing my dog. Sometimes I wonder how far he can lean!

Status
Not open for further replies.