1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aging Minpin - Excessive Peeing

Discussion in 'Other Pets' started by Poetic_thing, Dec 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Poetic_thing

Poetic_thing Boxer Insane

Hi there, this is my first senior pet so I'm not sure if this is normal or not. My minpin is 13 1/2 years old, has been on a raw diet for 6 years. As of the last month or so he goes outside approximately 3-4 times within an hour of waking, before bed and he gets up to go out at least 3 times during the night. He drinks slightly more water than he did before but really not a big difference that we can see. He is still happy, eating well, being his normal self with the exception of his frequent urination. He's not grumpy or depressed or anything else. My question is: is the urination thing normal for a senior small breed??

2. Cami

Cami Boxer Insane

Even "slightly" more water consumption without cause (excessive heat-energy expelled or medications), I'd say it could certainly be a symptom of something. At that age I'd lean towards kidney issues or diabetes.
    You could get a catch sample of urine and take it in to be tested for infection but it can also show if the kidneys were concentrating the urine properly. If that was all clear then I'd request a blood test to check for diabetes.
    The frequent urination, since you notice that it is different than usual would be a pretty good indicator that something was going on. Trying to pinpoint the cause would be the next step.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.