1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Age of puppy? Growth chart?

Discussion in 'Boxer Anatomy and Physiology' started by C-Sally, Dec 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. C-Sally

C-Sally Boxer Buddy

I just adopted a boxer puppy - she was dumped off at my parents' house in the country and came home with me - and was trying to get an idea of her age. She's about 20lbs (she was skinny when I got her and has filled out nicely in the last week - she looks like she's supposed to now) and about 17" at the shoulder. Looks like she still has all of her baby teeth. We haven't been to the vet yet, (my sister works for a paper that provides free spaying or neutering and first vet visit for animals adopted through them so I'm waiting on my certificate) but I'm not sure how much he'll be able to tell me about an approximate age.

Thanks in advance for any help!

2. Shakira's Ma

Shakira's Ma Banned

It is hard to judge just by going on weight and height because boxers are all sizes and shapes at different ages. A good clue though, would be the fact that she still has all of her baby teeth. They begin losing these between four and five months old. That could be an appropriate age for her on the weight and height also. Hope that this helps....

3. C-Sally

C-Sally Boxer Buddy

The vet estimated her to be about 4 months. He said I should see her adult canines in 4 to 6 weeks. He told me to give her until then to start her heartworm prevention.

4. 1FlashyFan

1FlashyFan Boxer Insane

Boxer Growth Chart?

Has anyone come across a "growth chart" from a reputable source specifically geared to the boxer breed? I've seen them for a few other breeds but haven't come across one for boxers. I would find it quite useful in tracking my puppy's growth just as I track my skin-children's growth. I know, for example, that my 3 year old daughter is in the 90th percentile for her height and the 75th percentile for her weight as compared to her peers. I'd love to be able to track my puppy the same way.

5. gmacleod

gmacleod Elusive Moderator Staff Member

Nope, never seen or heard of one. And I don't think I'd put a lot (well, actually any) faith in one if I ever did see it.

The rate at which boxer puppies grow is just so varied that I don't think such a chart could possibly be even remotely meaningful. Just take a look though some of the hundreds (literally) of threads on this forum where people have asked about their puppy's weight. They get responses from other who either have a puppy the same age, or who know what their's weighed at that age - and the variation is enormous. One 10 week old pup might be 10lb and the next one is 25. And it appears to have no bearing whatsoever on adult size either. LOL - no, I don't think you'll have a lot of luck finding a growth chart for this breed - or if you do, don't be surprised (or worried) if your pup deviates from it by a substantial margin.

6. realitycheq

realitycheq Boxer Pal

I've noticed that my two are actually quite small compared to other Fawn boxers, of similar ages.. Maxi is only 22kgs and very small for an adult compared to friends..

I suppose the only way to judge is keep an eye on their overall proportions and make sure they dont get overweight :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.