1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

After seeing some of these boxers.....

Discussion in 'Adoptions' started by Boxer Rescuer, Sep 1, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boxer Rescuer

Boxer Rescuer Boxer Buddy

2. Boxerworld

Boxerworld BW owner Staff Member

3. Donna741

Donna741 Boxer Insane

Yep, it's even more heartbreaking to see all those little Boxer faces in person. I volunteer at LA Boxer Rescue a couple of Sundays a month. So I get to see all these babes in person.

It's great to see how many Ursula finds homes for though! She is amazing!!

4. boxerspoiler

boxerspoiler Boxer Booster

After much thought, about six weeks ago we decided to adopt a female rescue boxer (1-3 yrs old). So after some searching we were directed to a rescue organization that handles our state. The adoption application was filled out. The application was approved, references were checked, and we passed our homevisit with flying colors. They even brought a female boxer to see how my two boxers would act. They all got along great. We were contacted, and told we could meet two or three possible adoptions on sunday (ninth). Well we were contacted last night, and told the owners of the one dog decided not to surrender it, and the owners of another dog, that said they were going to bring her in and surrender her, have not responded to the rescuese-mails or phone calls. So now it's wait some more. The rescue says alot of times, the people turn up a week or two later, and surrender the dog. What is wrong with these people? I don't understand how people can switch back and forth on something that is this important. If they decide ONCE AND FOR ALL to keep the dog, and take good care of it, that's great. We are all disappointed (exteremely). My seven year old doesn't know yet. It's gonna be hard to tell him. He thinks we're getting our dog on sunday. I guess it was going to be alot easier adopting. I see all these dogs that need help. It just doesn't seem right. Sorry, but I had to vent.

5. Donna741

Donna741 Boxer Insane

How frustrating. I totally understand where you're coming from. I hope this doesn't sour you on rescue as a whole.

Our rescue out here is packed with dogs from pounds and owner surrenders. We haven't had to make people wait to see prospective pups unless they only want a specific color, size, and age that we don't have.

Good luck, and please don't give up on rescuing a needy Boxer.

6. boxerspoiler

I have all the respect in the world for people that are involved in rescues. Being able to handle seeing these dogs in less than favorable condition must be hard. We have our mind set on getting a rescue, and were sticking it out, no matter how long it takes to get the dog. It's not rescues fault. It's the fault of irresponsible owners. I know there is a small percentage that give up their dogs because they have no choice, even though they have cared well for the dogs. I feel bad for these people. I just hope that more people become aware of rescues as an option, when getting a dog. There are alot of great people on this sight with happy endings when they get a rescue.

7. mmccown

mmccown Boxer Booster

Venting about rescue!!!!

Okay all-
    I need to vent about rescue. First, let me say it has been a crazy summer. It is hard to believe it has been almost 3 months since I moved back to Arizona from San Jose, Ca. I love my new house and I am glad to be back in Arizona. Odd it seems, as I am not from here, and only lived here for 2 years before moving, but it really feels comfortable here to me. Plus, I NEVER have to shovel snow or us a rear window defroster again :D

Since moving back, I adopted Blue and have had what seemed like countless fosters come through the house. I think it was only 5 or 6 :D Fletcher was my first I really wanted to keep him. He has gone to a wonderful home where he has constant companionship and attention. I had Ruby, a cute mange-y girl who was adopted quite quickly, which is always great. I also had the pleasure of picking up Burt a great old guy who really worked his way into your heart.

At the moment I have a wonderful little guy named Ranger. He is a hoot. He has a very long tongue that hangs from the side of his mouth. He cannot make it go front, either to eat, drink or give kisses. His photo is posted on the website. The best thing is that he gets along famously with my boys.

I am also fostering a deaf white female. Nikki is a beauty but very attention starved and animal aggressive. She is great if she is alone with me, but when the boys are anywhere near, she does her best to attack them. So, unfortunately, she is in her crate for long stretches of time as I do the rotation game of giving everyone outiside time, feeding time and loving time. Even with a muzzle she wants to maim the other dogs. smashicon

I am picking up another Boxer tonight. A 2 year old inact male who has been living in a backyard for several months. He is a casualty of divorce and needs an inside home with tons of attention. He also needs a trip to the vet as he doesn't seem to have any shots. I will post a photo of him, when I get him home.

So, tonight my 1200 square foot house, may be occupied by 5 boxers. Anyone want to come watch the circus :D

My frustration stems from fielding calls from our advertisement that runs in the paper. I get calls from folks inquiring about Boxer puppies. I explain to them that we do rescue and we usually don't have puppies. This seems to offend some people. Why? I don't know. I also get the callers who want a Boxer to breed. Again, I tell them we are in rescue and our dogs are neutered so as to avoid future Boxers in need of rescue. Then, I get the people who want to adopt a "guard" dog. Need I say anymore???? These last 2 true examples of calls fielded I must share with my fellow board members. If I am being too harsh, please let me know, as I am not known to be that nice to the general public...............

Yesterday I got a call from a woman who wanted to adopt a Boxer with "papers". I explained to her that puppy mill and pet store puppies came with papers and if she wanted a dog with papers to contact a reputable breeder. She told me she wanted to ensure the dog would behave around her children and not jump, bite or scratch. I told her that a dog, Boxer or not, would need socialization, attention and lots of training and perhaps a Boxer wasn't the right breed for her, that maybe she should stick with a fish tank.

Then, Sunday I received a call from a guy who wanted to adopt a Boxer as he has always wanted one. I pre-screened him a bit and told him what dogs I have available for adoption. I told him about Nikki and how she was beautiful but not good for a household with other animals. He told me she sounded great but he would have to get rid of his mixed-breed puppy before he could adopt her. I said "WHAT DID YOU SAY?" He repeated that he would have to get rid of the pup. I told him "No offense, but it is people like you that create a need for rescue. Why would you get rid of your puppy? He told me he wanted a Boxer really badly. I said to him "Then wait until you can find a Boxer that will get on with your puppy" I also told him I would never adopt to him, so not to bother calling back! Am I crazy or is that guy a jerk???

Why are no normal, educated, Boxer-savvy people calling me???? UGGGGGGHHHHHH :( I really love doing rescue work and the dogs make it worth all the frustration and stupidity, but I think I need a vacation or at the very least a night of un-interrupted sleep :D

Thanks for listening and have a great day! BTW, I finally posted new photos on Rebels website. I really need to teach him how to do it himself ;)

Marnie

http://rebelandblue.homestead.com/RebelsWorld.html

8. Donna741

Donna741 Boxer Insane

No, I don't think you're being harsh. There are more idiots out there than responsible dog owners. That's why we do rescue.

There is a group on Yahoo called Boxer Angels http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BoxerAngels. They are a group of Boxer rescuers from all over. There was a story recently where a woman wanted to adopt a bitch to breed to her Boxer "so he wouldn't keep jumping the fence to go after bitches in heat". When rescue told her to get the dog neutered and he wouldn't jump the fence to go after bitches in heat the woman was horrified. "I just want to breed them one time then I'll get them both fixed." Rescue told her that people like her are part of the problem not the solution. She continued by saying "how dare you deprive a needy Boxer of a loving home". She actually thought that it was perfectly acceptable to get a bitch just to keep her dog in the yard.

Needless to say rescue would not adopt to her. Days later she contacted rescue again and blamed THEM for her dog getting out and being hit and killed by a car. She went so far as to say that if they had given her a bitch her dog wouldn't be dead and her kids wouldn't be without their puppy.

It is because of all of the idiots out there that all these poor babys need homes. And it's up to us as rescue workers and volunteers to make sure that they don't end up living with another jerk who will abandon them again.

9. boxerspoiler

That's why the home visits are so important. I think the rescue people (please correct me if I am wrong) can get a good feel for what type of owners these people will be, especially if they already have a dog(s) of the same breed. I definately want to get involved with rescue, be it home visits, transports, or donations. The more messed up stories I hear, the more I want to get involved. Idiots that ask about rescues for breeding, guard dogs, ect. are the reason we had to start rescues in the first place. My mother-inlaw told my son (after hearing we are trying to get a rescue) that if we get another dog, she will not come over. YIPEE! My wife said the same thing, and it's her own mother. Enough said!

10. Donna741

Donna741 Boxer Insane

LOL!!!!!! You sound just like my fiance and I! My mom won't come over because we have 2 cats and that's just fine with me! We both said Yipee! His mom just moved out of state to which we also said Yipee!

Our moms birthdays are 2 days apart and they are so much alike that they don't like each other. They can see the annoying behavior in each other but not in themselves.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.