1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

after neutering/spaying

Discussion in 'Feeding' started by Keeroff, Nov 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Keeroff

Keeroff Completely Boxer Crazy

what did you change at your baby's diet after having him/her neutered/spayed?

for how long did you change it?
    what were you feeding him/her before?

did anything change at his/her weight?

did he/she need more exercise?

2. gmacleod

gmacleod Elusive Moderator Staff Member

I have never changed an animal's diet after spaying/neutering. There has never been a need to. Not quite sure why you'd think there was?

Dogs metabolisms do slow down a little post-neutering... if they're adults when it is done. I seriously doubt you'd notice any difference at all with a puppy though. Until they hit adulthood, of course, which is at around 3 years. At that time, all dogs tend to require a little less food - whether neutered or not (just like people ;)).

3. Keeroff

Keeroff Completely Boxer Crazy

:eek:
    that is what 3 vets have told me
    :confused:
    actually the words of one of them were "he will definately put on weight after neutering.especially since he will be young.he will need a special diet. actually royal canin has a special food about neutered cats but hasnt one for neutered dogs"

!

4. gmacleod

gmacleod Elusive Moderator Staff Member

LOL - well, I think there is a small amount of truth in it. But not when the dog in question is a puppy. He's still growing and his metabolism will remain high. Once he's mature though, then it is likely that he'll need less food.

But it's really not a big issue. The only reason dogs (neutered or not) get fat is because they get fed too much for their exercise levels. So you just feed as you normally would/should - by keeping an eye on how the dog looks and cutting his food back a bit if he looks like putting on too much weight. And ensure the dog gets a proper amount of exercise. There's no need to go to reduced-nutrition foods ;) And certainly not while he's still a pup.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.