Advice on bad manners with toys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gunther

Super Boxer
I have not had aggression issues in female boxers (only have had 2, so not best gage) but what I have noticed, more what I would liken to ... bratty, jealous, stubborn, 'its not fair, i want THAT toy' kind of behavior.

Maybe when she tries to get toys from the boys, you could try 'no, leave it' and if she doesn't then she gets a time out? Then like others said, you won't lose the effectiveness of the drop it command?

Jenny
Jenny maybe I misunderstand the point you're making? We are "not" saying Female Boxers are aggressive by nature ( though my understanding is that are the Dominant sex in Boxers?)

Any cautions about Females was in regard to two Female Boxer households! Just not a good idea! Wanted that to be clear. :) I loved my baby girl and my next Boxer will be a girl, the one and only Female in my multi dog household.

Bad boys I can deal with Bad Females??? I'm out!

Gunther

Super Boxer
Congratulations, it sounds like you made the necessary adjustments and it all seems to be going well! :)

dora

Boxer Booster
Jenny maybe I misunderstand the point you're making? We are "not" saying Female Boxers are aggressive by nature ( though my understanding is that are the Dominant sex in Boxers?)

Any cautions about Females was in regard to two Female Boxer households! Just not a good idea! Wanted that to be clear. :) I loved my baby girl and my next Boxer will be a girl, the one and only Female in my multi dog household.

Bad boys I can deal with Bad Females??? I'm out!

Thanks for clarification!

I have heard that two females is not good, but hadn't heard of females in general being aggressive, I love my girl boxer, and loved my last girl, and will likely always have girl boxers :)

Honestly I pick girl boxers mainly because they are smaller. After the heart issues with my last girl, I have a huge fear of not being able to carry a dog down my townhome stairs to the car if there was an emergency! I had to carry Dora multiple occasions. I'm single at the moment, so 55 lbs (Proxie's weight) is doable in an emergency. But otherwise I love girl and boy boxers all the same!!

My point in above post was just to point out that I haven't had aggression issues at all in either of my girls, but compared to the boys I have been around, I have noticed more bratty behavior and definitely stubbornness from the girls, which with some training and corrections is easily overcome. :)

Thanks for all your great input Gunther! Always like reading your responses, they are always very insightful and honest, such as telling us how you found out the hard way and making sure to pass that knowledge along to others!

Jinnytee, so glad to hear how well you doggie family is doing now!!! Yay!!!!!!

Jenny

Gunther

Super Boxer
LOL well, I guess my girl was kinda big at 65 lbs but she was the only one of my dogs that I could lift by myself. :)

She only had a couple moments in her life that were "issues" did'nt like Gunthers excitement with new born kittens..my fault and one other.

In any case it was enough to tell me, that I did not want to deal with two Female Boxers, that decide they don't like each other!!!

So my girl Dogie slot is reserved for a Boxer! :)

Some,one mentioned tone of voice on here also. Yes I saw that with a male Boxer mix Stewie, I was used to my BullMastiff/Pitt mix and I used a loud hard voice with him. I did that to Stewie one time! "SIT" he looked at me like he was going to cry??!!! Never did that again and got great results! He would bend over backwards to do whatever it was I trying to get him to do!
Now my baby girl Struddell?? Yeah..not so much!:) Never gave harsh commands with her because of my Stewie experience but I got the impression she really would not have cared! With the girls you have to make whatever it is your doing more exciting then whatever it is they want to do!

Other wise it's "Whatever..I'll do what I want!" :)

Status
Not open for further replies.