1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

advice for arthritic Rottie?

Discussion in 'Other Pets' started by Stub, Feb 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stub

Stub Completely Boxer Crazy

My friend's Rottie (Brooke) is staying with us for several days while they went out of town for a long V-day weekend. The poor girl has arthritis really badly in one back knee, and yesterday after arriving at my house was unable to bear weight on it. She did not move all night except to eat or go outside. I know movement is good for keeping arthritic joints loose and feeling better. But the problem is that not only is the snow very deep here right now, but in-between layers of snowfall we had a day of ice, so there is a thick crust in the middle of the snowpack. It is very difficult walking, Gus won't even play chase in the yard with that ice crust and he does not have any arthritis! My driveway is shoveled but Brooke wanders out into the deep snow/ice when she is out and I think it is making her even more sore. She's about 90 lbs, I gave her an aspirin last night as they do not have any pain meds for her. It helped a lot but I don't want to risk stomach upset with her as she had mast cell cancer almost two years ago and was only given 6 months to live due it being grade 4 when removed. She is doing well but has occasional stomach flares and I don't want to bring on internal bleeding with too much aspirin or repeated doses. (It might also be why they do not have her on any NSAIDS regularly) I was wondering if anyone had any other advice on helping her feel better? Will gentle massage on her arthritic knee be helpful or hurt more? What about an ice pack, or warm compresses?

2. bxrbgood

bxrbgood Boxer Insane

Do you have a snow blower? Making trails in the yard for the dogs helps a lot when they have trouble getting around.
    Massaging my knee helps me. A warm compress might help too.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
  3. johann

johann Boxer Insane

We do warm compresses on our boxer's back and hip when he's really sore. I also second the idea of snowblowing or shoveling an area for him to go out in, that way he's not going thru snow.

Also- they may want to look into tramadol for him. We've had great luck with it with our boxer (hip issue and back arthritis), he can't take NSAIDs because it has caused kidney issues with him before.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.