1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advanced Frozen Kong Recipes?

Discussion in 'The Boxer Ring' started by Forlorn, Jan 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Forlorn

Forlorn Boxer Booster

So, I love the Kong toy. I really, really do. It's great to give her when I crate her during the day when I'm away at class or during homework time. But it seems that over time it's taken her less and less time to clean it out. Even if I freeze it overnight, she still finishes it in 40 minutes or less. My question to everyone here is there any "advanced" recipes that would last longer? Or would it be a good idea to buy a second kong to leave in the crate?

2. Cami

Cami Boxer Insane

I think you are doing well to get 40 minutes!
    My girl spends less than 5....and it is stripped clean.
    Wish I could be helpful but I would be happy with that 40 minutes you are getting.

3. LILYLARUE

LILYLARUE Boxer Insane

You can always try kibble mash......soaking kibble in a little water to soften and stuff the kong. I do it in layers of mash, piece of cheese, mash, bit of lunch meat, mash, and cork with peanut butter.

4. Forlorn

Forlorn Boxer Booster

Haha, I guess I shouldn't be complaining. It's just that it used to last her an hour and a half when she was a smaller puppy. I want something that will entertain her the 4-6 hours that I'm away during weekdays.

Oooh, I haven't tried getting the kibble wet and mashing it in. Thanks for the tip :)

5. BendyBoxers

BendyBoxers Boxer Booster

kong recipes

You can plug the holes of the Kongs with carrot sticks, celery sticks, a slice of apple, beef tendons (small ones), beef jerky strips, or any other type of meat strips that will fit in there.. the harder it is to get it wedged in there, the better (within reason).
    Peanut Butter is good for all around the inside, then a layer of oatmeal, another layer of PB, plain yogurt, then wedge pieces of liver (freeze dried or raw) into the oatmeal/PB mixture. Other pieces of meat can be wedged in there too, pieces of banana/fruit/ dog treats etc. Top with a layer of canned pumpkin. Put in freezer. It SHOULD last awhile.. but- 40 minutes? Dunno about that one! If you try plugging the holes up with beef tendons, you may get an hour out of it..
    What recipe were you using to get an hour to 40 minutes out of them? lol..

6. Forlorn

Forlorn Boxer Booster

I didn't think of putting vegetables or fruit in it before but that sounds like a good idea. It's healthier too. I'm afraid that my kong recipes aren't the best. I put a biscuit that's been snapped in half on the bottom to plug the small hole, then a dab of plain yogurt, some freeze dried liver treats, more yogurt, shredded cheddar cheese, a third of a hotdog, a thin turkey slice and then I seal the bigger hole with peanut butter. But I only give her that once or twice a week. The other times I go with the plain kibble and peanut butter combo x3

7. BendyBoxers

BendyBoxers Boxer Booster

Really I think the tendons should last her awhile.. but only if they're small enough to get wedged in there. You could also fill up the Kong with all of the 'goo' first, then wedge a Bully stick through the whole thing (if you can get it to fit.. some of them are thin like pencil sticks and some, bigger like hotdog size). Elliot and Dexter LOVE the beef tendons. The only concern about bully sticks and tendons is if they are TOO hard to get out of the Kong, the dogs may end up trying to eat the Kong to get to it.. but if it can get pulled out of there eventually- you have a winner! lol..
    My dogs pull the carrots out, drop them on the floor, eat all the PB mush in the Kong, and then eat the carrot bits all over the floor. They're like 'Carrots?? Are you kidding me? There's peanut butter in there!'

8. TossBranAbi

TossBranAbi Boxer Insane

I normally clean the fridge out and stuff the kongs with anything that is safe for the dogs. I then wedge a biscuit in the "lip" sideways so it takes a lot to get that biscuit out.

More recently, I have been spreading peanut butter the whole way around the inside of the kong. Then I take a piece of chicken jerky (the dog kind) and shove it in longways. I normally have to squeeze the opening of the kong to make the width of the chicken fit but it takes them forever to get the chicken out. There are times that I have to squeeze the kong to get the chicken out myself before washing it. Trying to get the chicken out can entertain Brady for literally hours, he will walk around throwing/dropping it and growling at it. Sometimes I feel bad because I feel like they get frustrated with it but they seem to enjoy it and it really does keep them busy.

9. chrystel

chrystel Boxer Insane

I found it better with mine to put 1 cookie in there. I bake their cookies myself and I make them in the shape of a fire hydrant. (cookie cutter for dogs) like this one: Amazon.com: RM Fire Hydrant Cookie Cutter for Baking / Scrapbook Stencils / Pet Treats: Kitchen & Dining

It's long and i make them thick also and hard. This week, i made oatmeal apple and yogurt cookies like those.

I bought them the "difficult" kong - the octogonal one like this one, the biggest size: http://www.binet.lv/go.pl?IMG=42714098O2139

I feel like the regular kind of kong is wayyy too easy.

I just gave them one actually, trying to occupy Snatch's mind..
    It took Snatch 15minutes, and Oxford 25minutes.

The regular kong were just barely 5minutes.

If the cookie is hard, long, it's very very hard for them to get it out. It just bouces in there as they make it roll, or grab it and drop it on the floor. Snatch is smart and knows by hitting it, you can get it out better.. Oxy has not figure this one yet :LOL:

Also, i change the cookies i make every batch so they keep interested.
    apples, sweet potatoes, pumpkin, bananas, peanut butter, tuna, sardines, or with any can of dog food... :)

Last edited: Feb 4, 2011
  10. chrystel

chrystel Boxer Insane

I forgot! also one of the BEST thing is shoving 1/2 a banana on that kind of kong. It takes them soo long!! and i love it!! :LOL:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.