Adult or puppy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

leadtech

Boxer Pal
We lost our Bruiser 3 months ago and are ready for another. My question is my wife and I both work so would a puppy or adult be right for us?We both work 10 to 11 hours a day. We plan on getting two dogs this time so one will not be so lonely and according to our daughter she is getting a Boston Terrier so that should make it interesting. We have fenced in our yard with a 4 foot high fence and will have a door so they will be able to get in and out and will not be confined. I just wanted to get some opinions before we bought another. Thanks.

ROROSHELTON

Super Boxer
I personally would make sure the boston gets along with other dogs. Then I would contact your local rescue for an adult. Puppies take time, lots and lots of it. There are so many adult dogs out there that are already house trained and maybe obedience trained that need homes. Plus if they come from a rescue they have already been neutered/altered, vet checked. If they were an owner turn in, the rescue would have all the info on the dog that you would know ahead of time that might work with your lifestyle better. Best wishes on your search whatever you decide!!!

Murp.mm

Boxer Insane
I would consider an adult dog that's already house trained. If you work long hours it might be hard trying to train a pup. I think there are lots of great boxers out there that need good homes. Good luck!!

leadtech

Boxer Pal
Well I have contacted the rescue place close to me and they do not have anything at the moment. He said he would contact me if something came in. I have also tried out of state rescue who have some boxers but they will not adopt to people in Tennessee.I have had someone volunteer to pup sit during the day.They have two smaller dogs so I thinking about a pup again. I have to get one soon or I think my wife is going to divorce me cause I am been depressed for the last three months . Thanks for any advice.

boilerupking

Boxer Booster
perhaps you could go to petfinder and look for a boxer there. the site allows you to select a breed, sex and age, and will show boxers available for adoption near you.

quite a few of the boxers on the site are in shelters and would therefore not be listed available from a private rescue organization. i often poke around on the site just to see if there are any boxers in shelters near me, as we are also thinking of adding to our family.

good luck!

Bridget D

Boxer Booster
I think it would be wonderful for you to adopt an adult boxer and have a pet sitter until he or she adapts to it's new environment. It would be even better if you could possibly schedule a little vacation time from work to be home during the early transition.

Petfinder has oodles and oodles of boxers seeking homes in all areas of the U.S., I am sure that you can find one that appeals to you there.

With the fence being only four feet high I would not recommend allowing your dogs access to going in and out of the house when you are not at home, however, my Bella is only 11 months old, and she is a "stoudt" boxer puppy, of the German line, not tall (yet), and she can get over our five foot fence already, we are replacing it with a 6 foot privacy fence.

She jumps up high on her hind legs when she hears my son Justin pull in and gets her paws in the chain link and if you don't command her to get down, she scrambles right over the top to run to greet Justin. She is not full grown yet, so I don't think you can trust the 4 foot fence for unsupervised containment.

God Bless you for opening your heart and your home to a wonderful and loving breed of dog!

Indy's mom

Boxer Insane
Just a thought here, but since you are hoping to adopt 2 boxers, considering asking the shelters, rescues if there are any pairs that were surrendered together. I frequent the rescue website in my area and it doesn't seem at all uncommon.

Good luck, I know you will find the right dog(s) for your family and you will be the right family for that very lucky dog(s).

krayne

Boxer Booster
When we adopted Ali (she was two and housebroken) - we picked her up at the beginning of a weekend. Then I took half days off for the first few days of the following week to help get her acclimated to her new home. It has worked out wonderfully! I know that the puppies are so little and cute, but believe me, other than her size, she ACTS like a puppy! She's the best...

atlasmom911

Boxer Insane
Boxers are jumpers. I hope your 4 ft fence will be high enough. We have a 7 ft privacy fence up. My daughters boxers use to clear their 4 ft fence. They had to put up a 6 ft fence to keep them safe. Good luck finding your new baby.

JackDawg

Boxer Buddy
When we got Jack, my wife and I worked totally opposite shifts. I only worked 14 out of every 28 days. This allowed me plenty of time to spend with our little ball of excitement. We now both work dayshift and I don't think we could do the puppy thing again. I would like to add another from a rescue, but there just aren't any real close to where we are.

Status
Not open for further replies.