1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adopting today!

Discussion in 'Adoptions' started by Rbastedo, May 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rbastedo

Rbastedo Boxer Buddy

If all goes as planned my wife will drive the 250 miles to the other side of the state today and pick up our new little girl Boxer.
    Her owners have to give her up.
    She is 16 months old, has always been in a loving home, likes kids and other dogs and is already spayed and has all her vet care up to date.
    She's a flashy brindle with cropped ears. Pictures soon - I promise.

Now we're going to need some advice on introducing her to our big Boxer boy Thatcher. He's almost 6 years old and has been lonely for Boxer companionship since Tuppy died. I'm hoping it will not be a big deal, we can bring her in the house and they can get acquainted and eventually they will settle down.

2. Sansal

Sansal Boxer Insane

I would introduce them outside your house/yard, maybe in a park or somewhere. Give them sometime to get to know each other. Take them for a walk together before you go back home.
    Good luck!
    Looking forward to the pictures :)

3. Rbastedo

Rbastedo Boxer Buddy

We will have to see what works out, it's such a long drive that she won't get home until very late tonight.

4. Rbastedo

Rbastedo Boxer Buddy

Is there some paperwork we should get beyond pedigree and vet records?

5. Althea

Althea Completely Boxer Crazy

In my experience with rescue, you get the rescue paperwork -- a copy of it. Then whatever medical paperwork. That should be it.

6. Rbastedo

Rbastedo Boxer Buddy

The previous owners are turning over the Boxer directly to us.

7. Althea

Then just whatever paper work they have. Medical records are the most important. Can't wait to hear how it goes!!

8. Rbastedo

Rbastedo Boxer Buddy

Agreed, that is what my wife got.
    She also got a couple black & white printer pictures of her sire & dam and of her as a puppy.

The ride home (nearly 4 hours) was uneventful, they arrived about 12:30 this morning.

I had our Boxer boy Thatcher sleeping down in our daughters room with them so she came up to our room for the night. This morning when I got up I went to take her downstairs, she was afraid of the stairs. I ended up carrying her.
    Thatcher was up already so he came out and discovered this new girl, they did the normal sniffing of each other for a while then I said "Lets go outside". "Outside" is a key word in our house, he ran for the back door and she followed.

I took them out and they acquainted themselves with each other some more for a while then I got a stick and tossed it.
    This started the running and chasing portion of the morning festivities.
    Thatcher seemed to notice that she's a lot younger and faster than he is, boy is she fast! This is going to be really good for him!!

She didn't want to come back in, but eventually she did. She is being very careful and timid about everything. I think she will eventually settle in, she really likes kids and seems to really like Thatcher.

Pictures should be coming tonight / tomorrow!

9. Althea

YAY! A very promising start! And yay for you for rescuing!! I'm so excited to hear a good outcome. Can't wait to see the photos...and tell Thatcher that his couch potato days are over! She'll keep him in tip-top shape! ;)

10. MKAD

MKAD Boxer Insane

Great news; congrats on your new family addition!
    Mary, Sally & Sam

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.