Adopting outside your home state...or country!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PerrysMama

Boxer Pal
Hi all,

I created a profile on-line today to ask one question in hopes of getting some feedback from other Boxer lovers out there.

Why do some rescue organizations only allow adoptions within their own state or surrounding states?? Is it so that the Boxer can be returned to that rescue if things go awry?

I don't get it. My husband and I live in Canada (Ontario) and absolutely FELL IN LOVE with a Boxer located in NY state. I emailed the rescue org and asked if they allowed "foreign" adoptions. No answer. About a week later, I filled out an on-line application for the same dog and submitted it. No answer. A week after that, I emailed again to inquire about the status. No answer. They have an 800 number, but it only works in the U.S. and searches for their phone number have yielded no results. The dog is STILL there and we think he would be a great match for our 4 year old brindle, who is also a rescue from the Boxer Rescue Ontario program. We have been looking for a match for him for about a year and we really think this is the guy who can be a great boxer brother!

We've offered to send pictures of our home and drive the 5 hours there and back to meet him. No answer. The web write-up says, "please, somebody give this guy a home". Here we are, ready to provide it and we can't even get an answer. If they don't adopt outside the state, ok, but just tell us that. So frustrating!

If anyone can shed any light on this situation

Net45582

Banned
Most rescues do home checks before placing rescues animals. They also like to be able to do follow up visits. This is why they prefer to keep the animals they place within the same state if possible. The rescues are run by volunteers so finding someone available to do a home check 5 hours away would be asking alot. Good luck in your search! Perhaps you can have a rescue local to you contact the rescue this pup is in. Some rescues do work through each other.

PerrysMama

Boxer Pal
Thanks for your feedback and great suggestion. Boxer Rescue Ontario did a home inspection for us when we got our first Boxer. I'll contact them to see if they can help.

Many thanks!

SophieboxerX

Boxer Buddy
I Feel your frustration

Sophie and I feel your frustration...We've been looking for a "sibling" for Sophie (who was rescued) and I've run into the same problem of the orginizations not adopting/fostering out to a different country. However I am aware of their need to make sure the family/home is appropriate and they want the ensure that the furball is going to be in a loving setting.
So my search will continue and hopefully fate will have something to do with it.

Jan

Reasonable Moderator
Staff member
I feel your frustration too. I would love to adopt a boxer from the US too. There are just so many that need to be rescued, but they won't allow adoptions out of state or their own area. :(

ladyluck_t

Boxer Insane
Perhaps you can have a rescue local to you contact the rescue this pup is in. Some rescues do work through each other.

I second Wanda's statement. I work very closely with the AZ and CO rescue's and if they called me stating they had a qualified applicant that would fit with one of our dogs I would be more likely to assist.

We worked on one that was a return from an AZ rescue (death of owner) and they were very willing and open to help us out. It certainly would be my first choice if I thought a dog in an "out of state" rescue fit and nothing was available locally.

xpurplerainx

Boxer Booster
Awwww..good luck to all you kind hearted people out there! You would think they would take into consideration that you've previously adopted and make a special exception for you! They should be quick to reply to save a dogs life and send him to a fur-ever home. Unfortunatly, as stated my someone else, most shelters and rescues are ran by volunteers so quick responses aren't always the case. Good luck to you all!! I'm cheering for ya!

Maddie's dad

Super Boxer
I feel your frustration too. I would love to adopt a boxer from the US too. There are just so many that need to be rescued, but they won't allow adoptions out of state or their own area. :(

Did you look at Boxers Without Borders? They work with BRLA and transport to the BC area. It probably would have worked better before you moved, but they may still be able to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.