1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

adding a new dog into the mix.

Discussion in 'Other Pets' started by Stub, Sep 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stub

Stub Completely Boxer Crazy

I have friends who have a 4-yr old dog, and they want to add a puppy at the end of this month. This is all fine and great but they want to keep the puppy and the older dog confined in the same room when they are away at work. I tend to think the dogs should be separated at least for a few months if only to make sure the older dog does not attack the younger one out of jealousy or anything, and also so that they can have a break from one another. (separated by at least crating the puppy, not necessarily in different rooms.) But I've never had more than one dog at a time, so I'm not sure if my thinking is correct and wanted to ask you knowledgeable people. The dogs are Airedale terriers if that makes any difference, which I know nothing about personally. Also the older dog is female and they want to get another female. After reading boxerworld for several months this just screams mistake at me!

What advice do you think I should give my friends? Thanks!

2. johann

johann Boxer Insane

My, albiet very limited, knowledge of Airedale terriers is that they tend to be pretty fiesty dogs. I'd recommend that they find a good breeder and take that person's advice on which sex to add (my guess is they say add a male).

Also, I think you're right about at least crating the puppy to protect him/her from the adult.

Hopefully they will seek out a responsible and knowledgeable breeder who can steer them in the right direction for adding a second dog.

3. KotasMommie

KotasMommie Boxer Booster

Definitely the puppy needs to be crated! Jolie and Kota love to play but there are times when Kota just needs a break. So then Jolie is crated and Kota gets him relaxing time. That would be the most important thing. Crate the puppy!!!

4. Roge

Roge Boxer Insane

yes i agree with Kotasmommie the new addition should be crated, when I introduced Roge to the mix I most definatly would not have left him alone with my terrier in fear that i wounld return to a boold bath, terriers well my terrier who is 9 does not enjoy puppy play and is a bossy little fella he is for ever putting Roge in his place. So I really could not stress enough that NO they should not be left together when home alone.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2011
  5. Roge

Roge Boxer Insane

I would just like to add that this is only until they get used to each other.

6. Stub

I did tell my friends about crating the puppy and they were actually quite glad for the advice. So thank you! I think they have their hearts set on another female though so I'll just hope it turns out well for them. I did look up their breeder and they seem quite reputable, with proper health tests (not sure what all would be appropriate for Airedales but they had a list) and quality show dogs.

7. johann

johann Boxer Insane

Health tests and show quality dogs is a very good thing. :) Maybe female terriers get along better than female boxers?

8. Dell

Dell Boxer Booster

I say this with all love....but do terriers get along with anyone? :) I grew up with them and they are a fiesty group!!

Crate training the pup and if the older dog is spayed should reduce same gender issues. I've always wondered how people with more than 2 dogs manage it...gotta be a way and I'm guessing spay/neuter and the right pack rules probably go a long way to making it work.

9. Roge

Roge Boxer Insane

Ah I think terriers get a lot of bad press,I have one ( spike) who is 9 now he is a very very clever little fella however he does think that he is the boss and keeps Roge on his toes they are both male and get on very well as long as I feed them at different ends of the yard .Spike was hit by a car last sunday, no real harm he is just sore, they usually sleep together outside in a kennel which is in a pen until the frost arrives after that they are inside however since sunday I have had them sleeping separately incase Roge would lie on him so Roge is in the kennel and Spike is in the shed in his basket but last night spike broke out of the shed (you would not believe the small space he escaped through) and when I got up this morning he was sitting at the gate of the pen soked through id say he was there most of the night all because he wanted to go and sleep with his buddy Roge.lol.

10. Stub

I hope it works because I have other friends who just got TWO female lab puppies (well, about 6 weeks ago now) and they also have a 12-yr-old female golden retriever. They didn't want two female puppies, but they also did not want to wait until their breeder, who is several hours away, had a male available. I fear for that household for sure! Their previous dog, a male lab, (who died this past Jan at age 16) and the golden were never trained very well or exercised very much because they were not leash trained and pulled like freight trains. I believe they are going to work with these puppies more. I certainly hope so!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.