ACE Why can't it be used?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quilla

Boxer Pal
I went to drop off my dog today to be spayed. I asked about ACE and the woman told me that they haven't ever had problems and said that it is all that they used; and because I have no idea why it isn't supposed to be used I couldn't exactly fight her on the subject. I am really worried about my dog we have had the appointment for months and I was kind of against a wall. I tried to look it up last night on the internet but it didn't bring me to anything that was of use. So if anyone knows what it can cause that would be nice... I would just like to have a heads up.

gmacleod

Elusive Moderator
Staff member
Because it causes a minority of boxers to suffer an extreme drop in blood pressure, leading first to respiratory and then cardiac arrest. There is a breed-related sensitivity to Acepromazine - and you'll never know whether your dog will be affected until it happens. Even if it's been used before without apparent issue. Who would risk it anyway, when there are perfectly safe alternatives such as valium that can be used instead? (if a sedative is even required at all). There are members on this site who've lost their dogs to that drug.

Here is the veterinary warning from the American Boxer Club website: http://www.americanboxerclub.org/ace_boxers.html

Quilla

Boxer Pal
thanks for the feedback. I appreciate it I talked to the vet a couple more times and they told me that they would use a different drug. So now it is five days after the surgery and she bounced back to her old self very quickly.... almost too quickly. Anyway thanks for the advice I appreciate it tons.

Status
Not open for further replies.