ACE and Banfield

Status
Not open for further replies.

sjt3409

Boxer Buddy
Took my dog to get yesterday today at Banfield. From what I have learned here sounds like ACE shouldn't be used. I questioned her on this and they said it was a myth and that there are no breed sensitivities to ACE. She stated it was standard for them to use a very small amount (.02 mg per pound) and they had never had any problems. Said they nuetered a boxer the other day w/out any problems. She said they won't use it if the dog has cardiac issues and/or history of siezures. Are there any vetrrinary sites that discuss this to show them? You would hope that they would be up on this kind of stuff.

jray

Boxer Insane
If your vet thinks this is a myth turn around and run as fast as you can! Find a new vet! Go to this website and print out the information:
http://www.jlhweb.net/BOSS/ace.htm
You can also do a search on the web for Acepromazine. Oskar's records are flagged to not use ACE my vet was awesome when we talked about ACE and boxers.

boxer

Boxer Insane
Well, regardless of whether your vet "thinks" acepromazine is fine for boxers, he/she should respect your wishes and not use the drug. Period. Actually, a vet has no right whatsoever to do anything else. ACE, incidentally is a tranquillizer, used pre-anasthetic - and if a tranquillizer is needed at all, then there are alternatives.

I'm sure with a forum search here, or a google search you'd come up with plenty of other references. But here's one that your vet may respect: http://www.jlhweb.net/BOSS/ace.htm which refers your vet to a reference advising specifically against giving ACE to boxers in the Handbook of Veterinary Drugs.

haleyandmark

Boxer Insane
Asia was spayed at the Banfield here and they had a warning up about ACE in their office...they even told me about it before I could get home and post what I should ask the Vet before leaving Asia to be spayed!

I agree totally with 'Boxer', your vet should respect your wishes. You should print that link out (it's the same link I printed and had them put in Asia's file just in case) and give it to them to show them what really can happen, and if they beg to differ with you or look hesitant at all, I would go somewhere else!

Ciscobxr

Boxer Insane
boxer said:
Well, regardless of whether your vet "thinks" acepromazine is fine for boxers, he/she should respect your wishes and not use the drug. Period. .

I will be the third in a row to agree here!!!!!!
I had Cisco's vet put it in his file to never use Ace on him. They wrote it in large red letters and then also put a note in there that I had written saying to never use it.
I would find a new vet. You could get a good recomendation from other pet owners, anyway, the Banfield here is WAY too expensive.

Rocky Hoya

Boxer Booster
We are on a Banfield plan too. When Rocky got neutered I asked in advance what they use and they said ACE I said no way use something else the vet who has boxers said she used it on her boxers but I held my ground and so did hubby and they used another sedative. I frankly think that Banfield uses only certain medicines that benefit them for some reason or another we have had a couple of issues with them. They used to give the pro heart 6 shot I declined it saying we had read a lot of bad things about it and the vet said it was perfectly safe......of course a couple weeks later it was recalled. They put Rocky on 20 mg prednisone and I asked if there was something else he could take that wasnt that intrusive maybe a lower dose and they said no....hello later that week we went to the dermatologist who gave us a 4 mg med and said to half it to 2 mg.....it worked better than a high does steroid. I guess my point is to always do a search here on BW before going to the vets and try to be well informed. I have definetely learned so much here. The biggest thing is just because someone is a vet doesnt mean they know everything.

debbie knowles

Boxer Insane
sjt3409 said:
From what I have learned here sounds like ACE shouldn't be used. I questioned her on this and they said it was a myth and that there are no breed sensitivities to ACE. She stated it was standard for them to use a very small amount (.02 mg per pound) and they had never had any problems.

Get the heck outta there and do it quick!!! I have seen first hand what ACE can do to a perfectly healthy 14 week old boxer puppy with NO history whatsoever of heart trouble or seizures. There is certainly ONE emergency clinic in my home town that learned this lesson the hard way when they gave it to my Jack and they had to then scramble to use Atropine to re-start his heart. Find a new vet ASAP. djk

Sabrina

Boxer Booster
Please do not let them use ACE on your boxer. I got Cortes neutered at Banfield and they used ACE after they had told me they would not. Cortes did have a reaction to it and his blood pressure dropped dangerously low -- it could have easily killed him. If they refuse to respect your wishes go somewhere else.

sjt3409

Boxer Buddy
Banfield is the Vet you will find at Petsmart locations. I just picked Brittany up a little while ago. They did use ACE, really made it sound like I didn't have much of a choice this morning when I brought her in. She seems fine, very groggy still which I'm sure will last for a while. They gave me some Rimadyl for the pain, what do people think of Rimadyl? I am thinking of only giving it to her if she seems in pain. I am also planning on talking with someone at Banfield about ACE, it seems like they aren't up to date or are unaware of the issues with ACE and Boxers.

Status
Not open for further replies.