1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

about crates...

Discussion in 'Boxer Anatomy and Physiology' started by carrie_j@amerit, Feb 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. carrie_j@amerit

carrie_j@amerit Boxer Booster

Got a question about crates.
    Our "charlie" is five months old and growing. We now have a crate that is 24" high. We find him sloped over and usually laying down when we come home. We will be getting him a new crate on Tuesday. This one is bigger in every way. Height, 32": depth and width bigger too. Is this going to be too big for him to relax in ? We've never had a problem with him in his crate and we've had him since he was almost six weeks old.
    He is now housetrained and usually happy to go into his crate "at times".. But I'm worried about this crate being too big. We're never gone more than 4-5 hours at a time. I'm home during the day so the only time is when we go out in the evenings or during a Saturday/Sunday.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Carrie...

"charlie", 9/07/01, brindle with lots of flash, natural ears and docked tail. Cute as can be and the love of our lives.
    "richard", cat of 5 years. very loveable and sweet and tolerates "charlie's" burst of energy usually towards him....

2. Jan

Jan Reasonable Moderator Staff Member

He will probably be fine in the larger crate. You could always try covering it with a blanket. Dogs usually like it that way as it makes it more like a den and they feel more secure.

3. Tulsa-Dan

Tulsa-Dan Your Friendly Moderator

I'd get the largest one. You can always partition off a part of it with a cardboard box or they make "dividers" for crates as well, if it seems too big for the pup for the time being.

4. VTbxrFan

VTbxrFan Boxer Insane

I think the biggest problem with crates being too big is while housetraining a young puppy -- you don't want them to have room to pee in one section and sleep in another. If he's doing well with the training, I would go ahead and get a large crate -- he will probably need a big one to be comfortable as an adult and I'm sure you don't want to purchase another one in a few more months because they aren't cheap! As previously mentioned, you can partition a large one if you need to, but there is no way to make small one bigger!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.