1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A year in the life of Pheobe (definitely long)

Discussion in 'Stories' started by DempseysPaw, Feb 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DempseysPaw

DempseysPaw Boxer Pal

Little Pheobe just turned 3 this week and it reminded me that next month will also mark the end of her first year with me and the rest of the pack. She and the other's have kept me pretty busy in the last year so I haven't posted as much as I've read. Some may already know Pheobe's story and other's can find it here

http://www.boxerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50665&page=1&pp=16

Well it's been an interesting year to say the least and I couldn't be prouder of Pheobe or the strides she has made. Sure she still goes nuts when someone approaches the house but it always quickly turns to wiggles when she meets someone new face to face which is major improvement over how she once was. I can still see the scar on my thumb from our first meeting as I type this, but it makes me smile now. What a little nut she was. The toughest nut I ever cracked but she finally came around for me. So for those of you who remember her little saga here's a quick (but long) update. She's doing great as far as her aggression issues were concerned and no longer exhibits the desire to draw blood on every stranger she meets. But it has been a year and still she has some major seperation anxiety issues. Even when I'm home she prefers to be touching me in some small way at all times so there's still some work to be done there. Her obedience is spot on and just where I'd like it to be, including responding to all my hand signals and all my "special looks". And she even sits still for me to clip her nails which doesn't sound like much unless you'd been there the first dozen or so times I tried. And I'm pretty sure she even enjoys having her ears cleaned at this point which is also a switch. I think it all came down to the basic love and persistence with a regimented routine method to get her on the right path. I also discovered along the way just how really smart she was and I think she likes to show it off so that helped out a bit. She's still the fastest dog I've ever had. She does EVERYTHING fast. I've never seen a dog eat so much so fast in my life. She even goes to the bathroom fast. For that matter she even falls asleap fast; she'll do maybe half a circle before flopping down and is practicaly snoring before the dust even settles around her. She's just always in high gear and I'm not talking about the typical Boxer energy either; it's like that times ten. She's a whirlwind alright and not an ounce of grace in her either. My boy Dempsey is cat like and light as a feather on his feet but this girl is like a bull in a china shop. 55 pounds and she feels like a hundred when she lands on you. Oh and she's a lap dog too, that is if your lap was actually your chest. I think she'd actually perch on my shoulders if I let her. But hey at least she's trying to kill me with kindness instead of biting me. I guess most have described her as a lunatic but I prefer adorable lunatic or my lunatic. Sure the plan was to foster her, train and socialize her and then find her a new home. Well I guess my job is pretty much done; she's been trained & socialized and right now she's feeling right at home in bed with mommy where she belongs ;) Speaking of beds, did you ever notice how they seem to weigh about a thousand pounds when you're trying to get them to move over and make room? Oh she's definitely a keeper and I wouldn't part with her for anything in the world; not that anyone else in their right mind would put up with her.

2. momstaxi

momstaxi Completely Boxer Crazy

That is great! sounds like she is settled and very happy. Certainly will keep you on your toes. Thank you for taking her in and making her a part of your family.
    Michele

3. binky

binky Super Boxer

HOORAY for you and HOORAY HOORAY for Phoebe. God bless you for showing her a better life thru training, love & more love!

4. WYearta

WYearta Super Boxer

That was just an absolutely WONDERFUL story! Somehow, I missed the first post about her, but am so glad I found this one. It just makes my heart melt! You are a great person, and Phoebe is lucky to have found you. Thank you for sharing.

5. lafsalot

lafsalot Boxer Insane

Great story - I always like happy endings! Kudos to you for adopting Phoebe and for providing much needed love, patience, and guidance. ~ Cathy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.