A laugh and a rant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HurricaneBox

Boxer Insane
We went up to Indiana to visit my inlaws for Thanksgiving (one day, as I had to work today). Some relatives of my husband's who I had never met before had recently moved from California to be with the rest of the family in Indiana and so we had Thanksgiving dinner at their house. Of course we took Hurricane up there with us and they were kind enough to let us bring him over to their house so that he wouldn't have to stay alone all afternoon. They have two 5 month old beagle puppies and everyone thought it would be a fantastic idea for the dogs to play together outside... where the beagles stay. :( Warning sign number one, I suppose. So we took Hurricane out to meet the pups, who have been staying outside with only each other for company, and they had formed a mini "pack." As soon as we walked in the gate, they went after Hurricane. Neither one weighed more than 10 or 15 lbs, and they couldn't have really hurt my boy, but he was terrified of them, as he has never had a negative experience with another dog. He has never been attacked. And what does the beagles' owner do? Stand there and laugh! Now I will admit the concept of a big boxer being afraid and chased around the yard by two beagle pups with his tail tucked so far down his bum was tucked too is a funny concept... but it was MY baby that was being harassed by the half wild little mongrels, and I was NOT amused.

Needless to say was equally angry with DH who also stood there laughing smashicon I suppose I was a little rude when I told DH (loud enough for the other guy to hear) that I was taking Hurricane inside away from the little monsters. They thought I was over reacting. Of course they are such wonderful examples of dog owners, leaving poor beagle pups outside in the elements and with so little socialization that they are mostly wild.

It isn't that I was afraid of Hurricane being injured.... more that I didn't want him to have a bad experience that caused him to start being afraid of other dogs when he meets them. What do you all think? Did I over react or was I justified in removing Hurricane from the situation. I did give it a couple minutes to see if they would calm down and if he would get over it, but they were not playing they were serious and he was so confused and scared I couldn't stand to let it continue.....

HostelDog

Boxer Buddy
I think you did right, not only because the poor guy got nothing from the experience except a fright, but also because if Hurricane had turned on them (which even the most placid dogs can do, esp if frightened), I'm sure he could have done some serious damage.

Although of course the image of a huge boxer getting chased by 2 little puppies is very funny :) A couple of weeks ago, Fiona was in the park playing very happily with an 8 month old maremmano (about 3 times bigger than Fio). On the way home we met a chihuahua, who terrified Fiona so much so nearly pulled my arm off trying to get away!

Sansal

Boxer Insane
I totally would have done the same. I don't let my dogs play with dogs that are too rough and out of control, even if they are smaller and younger. Even if everyone thought you over reacted, who cares, you know you did the right thing for your dog!

Gatorblu

Boxer Insane
I think you were completely right to remove your dog. The only thing I didn't see mentioned that I might have done was to ask the beagles owner to see if he could calm his dogs down until your dog felt comfortable enough to play.

Arabella had 3 hound dogs "mount" her at a dog park at the same time and were still trying to correct the damage that has done. I now avoid all hounds dogs at dog parks because I believe they thrive on a "pack mentality". It's what they're bred to do.

boxmom

Boxer Insane
I'd have done the same. A little off subject, but seriously, beagles outside in Indiana?? BRRRRRR, those pups are going to be cold!

Indy's mom

Boxer Insane
Good for you, I think you acted in a totally appropriate manner. Way to stand your ground and take care of your boy.

Caney Creek

Boxer Insane
I would have done the same, no doubt (actually I have done the same before). Maybe the beagles could not have hurt him, but that's not the point -- Hurricane was NOT having fun and he could not escape from them.

Do your in-laws realize that they're NOT in Cali anymore??? Those poor puppies are going to FREEZE this winter!! :(

fryguy

Boxer Buddy
I'm not saying you over reacted, as I was not there. But I had a similar experience with Charlie when he was 3-4 months old. Our neighbors have 2 Jack Russels, the younger one went after Charlie the first couple times we tried to get them to play. Neither of them were socialized either. But after stepping in and correcting this behavior, they enjoy playing with each other every day. Every now and then the younger one will still go after Charlie, but he puts an end to it in a nice way. They chase him, he chases them, he boxes them when they get to frisky. Its all in fun and we dont let it get out of control.

HurricaneBox

Boxer Insane
Do your in-laws realize that they're NOT in Cali anymore??? Those poor puppies are going to FREEZE this winter!! :(

It isn't really my in laws... kind of one of those relative's twice removed things. Its my husband's father's 2nd cousin. (Does that make them my husband's 3rd cousin? It always confuses me!) And I felt horrible for the poor pups. It is southern Indiana but still WAY too cold to be left outside like that. The whole situation just makes me mad. I tried to encourage them to adopt the dogs out, what is the point in having two pups if you are never going to socialize, train, or interact with them in any way? They have three young children and just plain don't have time for dogs, they got a dog because apparently that is what you do when you have kids and a house. :(

In answer to the PP, I did try to break it up and correct the beagles, but the were having none of it. They are honestly more wild than tame. It was a total pack mentality kind of thing, they immediately saw an "outsider" in their territory and went into aggressive mode. I have never seen puppies that young act like that before. Since the menfolk were just standing there laughing and not helping, I just removed myself and my dog from the situation rather than deal with it.

If I had thought about it, I would have had them pen up one of the dogs and introduce them one at a time, but I don't handle frustrating situations like that well... I don't think very fast on my feet, as it were. I was already uncomfortable being there (I am kind of a loner and I was in a house with 15 people I barely knew or didn't know at all). People look at me like I am insane as it is, with the care and concern I treat Hurricane. I have educated myself as best I could (thanks in large part to this site!) and try to be a responsible, humane, caring pet owner. People like them do NOT understand why I do what I do in situations like that, and they are not helpful or supportive at all. I honestly didn't feel like getting in a fight with "relatives" I had just met. All in all, not a pleasant day. But it is done and over, and next time we are up there I will be prepared.

BoxerMom999

Boxer Insane
Sounds like you did the best thing possible given the circumstances. Too bad the world doesn't have more caring and thoughtful people like you. Lucky Hurricane - poor beagle pups!

Status
Not open for further replies.