1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A kind of weird neutering question

Discussion in 'Dog Health issues and questions' started by Stub, Mar 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stub

Stub Completely Boxer Crazy

I'm starting to think about getting Gus neutered finally. He's 3.5 years and fully mature. My question is, how can I make sure the vet will 'trim up' his scrotum? I've seen male dogs with big empty sacs hanging down and I do not want that for Gus. I'd rather not neuter him than have that, in fact, is how strongly I feel about it. So, do they do that for mature dogs or are the dogs I see who are 'sleek' underneath neutered as puppies?

2. Jinnytee

Jinnytee Super Boxer

My male dogs, past and present ( not boxers though ), have all been neutered at around two years of age. With all of them, the empty sac was initially there, but over time it sort of pulled up and shrunk, leaving just a smooth bump, covered in fur, and barely noticable.

Can't recall how long it took for this to happen though, sorry.

3. Roge

Roge Boxer Insane

Same here except for Roge who was neutered around the year mark .and also had an empty sack that shrunk to nothing ..

4. MomtoMaggie

MomtoMaggie Boxer Booster

neutering

We had a 5 year old rescue male neutered. This dog had the biggest ones I had ever seen. It took like 3 months or longer before everything shrunk up. A couple weeks after his neuter you wouldn't even think he was neutered everything was still so there. he was a foster too. Right now I have a 3 year old rescue foster that was just neutered 2 1/2 weeks ago and he currently has what looks like a small empty saggy sac. One of his testicles hadn't dropped so he had a more complicated neuter. These guys were my first experience with males.

Boxer hugs and kisses,

Heather, mom to
    Gabby/boxer/70 lbs/26 months/very good and healthy girl
    &
    Forever missing Maggie/boxer/68 lbs/12 +yrs/ CKD, chronic pancreatitis, hypothyroidism, arthritis, arrhythmia controlled by sotalol, adult onset epilepsy, likely IBD,a heart condition suspected to be ARVC or DCM, mammary cancer spread to lower lymph node and high BP controlled by amolodopine. Got her wings 2.20.14 at 6:20 pm after giving us 5 years, 4 months and 17 days of unconditional love
    Orange County, CA

5. Jinnytee

Jinnytee Super Boxer

Yes.... the sac fills with fluid, so it looks as if they still have testicles ..... so actually its not like you have this baggy sack "hanging around " :) for long. I think that's why I can't say when the scrotum disappeared, the " faux testicles" were there, gradually getting smaller - and then one day you realised it was not there anymore ! ... and the sleek undercarriage look was complete :)

6. DlcVta

DlcVta Boxer Pal

You could ask that they do a scrotal ablation when they do the neuter. That is completely removing the scrotom. I've seen it done occasionally on the short haiir larger breeds.

7. Gatorblu

Gatorblu Boxer Insane

As others have said they shrink over time. In Thor's case because of the rest of his surgery at the time, his was removed entirely to make room for a new opening for him to use. So they can remove them but it is a more extensive surgery.

There is also the Neuticle option. They are fake testicles to give the appearance your dog is still intact.

8. Stub

Thanks everyone! I was wondering because I know a couple who have an older (10 or 11 I think) yellow lab who was neutered last year due to testicular cancer, and his scrotum never shrunk up and disappeared. But he also has other health issues so maybe because he has not really been healthy all that time it didn't go away? It's like a flat empty envelope hanging between his legs, and very obvious. If Gus, being healthy, will shrink up (I don't care how long it takes) then that's OK!

9. Jinnytee

Jinnytee Super Boxer

I would imagine that it probably has more to do with his age, than his health ( your yellow lab friend ). As with humans, I suspect the elasticicity of the skin is lost, and the ability to shrink back and re-shape itself would be impaired. Just a thought.

I am sure Gus will be like all of our younger boys, and get the sleek look you want ... if not, there are always " Boxer Briefs " to hide it. LOL :)

10. Stub

Yes, I thought about his age after I posted that as well. Maybe a combination of the two... age and general health. My last dog was neutered at 9 months so I never had to think about it before. In fact if not for Porter (the yellow lab), and my cat who forever still looked like he had testicles after he was neutered, I would probably have NOT thought about it for Gus! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.