1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

6 weeks old puppy

Discussion in 'The Boxer Ring' started by Winston&Brew, Apr 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Winston&Brew

Winston&Brew Boxer Booster

I'm going to be picking up my new boxer puppy this Friday afternoon. He will be 6 weeks and 1 day old. Have any of you brought a pup home at this age???? Does anyone have any helpful tips????? Thank you

2. UTmark

UTmark Boxer Pal

BIG TIP. I took Bevo home at 6 weeks as well. I first saw him when he was 3 weeks and that is when I picked him out. I actually regret taking him home this early because he seemed a little too fragile and didnt really take to hard food very well. If you can, wait a few weeks and let your pup stay with the mom. Either way, everything turned out great here and Bevo is growing like a weed. You should be ok. Good Luck.

3. SandyHG55654

SandyHG55654 Banned

We picked out Dozer at 6 weeks he seemed a little young. I thought he should have more time with his mom nursing and with his littermates so we left him with the breeder. Then the breeder called us when he was 7 weeks to tell us all the other pups went to homes so we brought him home at 7 weeks. I wish the breeder would have left the littermates toghether longer because he never learned biting inhibition. We had a real hard time teaching him not to nip. He still does when he is real excited but that was our hardest problem. they also get natural immunity to disease from the mother's milk so it is important to leave them as long as you can. Good luck

4. Maxwell's Ma

Maxwell's Ma Boxer Insane

Actually they are way too young to be brought home at 6 wks. They really should not leave Mom or their litter mates till 8 wks. Those two weeks are very important for their learning. Like bite inhabition.

Are you getting this baby from a reputable breeder because they would definitely not let you bring a new pup home before 8 wks?

5. gmacleod

gmacleod Elusive Moderator Staff Member

If it's at all possible, I'd suggest leaving the pup with his mother/littermates until an absolute minimum of 7 weeks, and preferably 8 weeks. The 6-8 week period is an extremely important developmental one for pups - this is when they begin to learn how to interact with other dogs, how to behave as a dog, how to play, the beginnings of bite inhibition, and how to accept discipline.

2 weeks may not sound like much, but it's 1/3 of the total life of the pup so far! And up until now, the pup has been not much more than a dependant blob LOL To put things into some perspective, it is illegal in many countries and several US States (not sure about Iowa) to re-home a puppy before the 8 week mark. That's not because some do-gooders thought it would be fun, it's there to protect the health and welfare of animals for whom earlier re-homing is detrimental ;)

6. Boone's. Fmly

Boone's. Fmly Banned

We brought Lexus home when she was 6 weeks old. I saw how she was treated and decided that I could do a better job at home. From that moment on she was my constant companion. We already had Boone so she learned being a dog from him. We didn't have any behavioral (sp?) problems with her. I miss her every day.

7. Net45582

Net45582 Banned

6 weeks is a bit too young but if it has to be then all you can do is your best,right? Take a few days off to acclimate your pup to its new home. Get a crate if you haven't already since this will become your pups safe space-never use the crate for punishment. Find out what he's used to eating...check the food forum here and make sure you transition your pup to a high quality food if hes not on one now-which if the breeder is lettting the pup leave at 6 weeks I will assume the food is less than high quality. maybe get a can of goat milk to dilute and use to moisten hard kibble. You may want to check on a RAW/BARF diet also....take him for a vet check as soon as you can too. Good luck & hugs

8. New Mom

New Mom Super Boxer

We got Jesse when he was six weeks old and I think it was definitely too young. DH got him from a byb as a surprise for me. (If only he knew!) Anyhow, I had to bring Jesse everyday to my sister-in-law when I went to work. There was no way he could have been left alone at that age. DH picked him up on a Sunday and Monday morning he went to Aunt Jen's...where he met his "cousin" Sadie, a chocolate lab. The very first thing he did when he saw her was run underneath her and try to nurse. She is a real sweetie though and took good care of him. They still see each other every Sunday and really love each other. He really should not have been separated that young from his mom. And the biting issue...OUCH. Even now, he still sometimes tries to "play" bite. I would definitely recommend not getting one younger than 8 weeks.

9. Kaybie's Mom

Kaybie's Mom Boxer Insane

I brought Kaybie home at 6.5 weeks old and she did fine. The pups in her litter naturally weened themselves from the mother and stopped nursing around 4 weeks old.....so she didn't miss out on any nutritional aspects of being with the mom. I have always thought that 8 weeks was a better time frame but I have had zero problems with bringing Kaybie home a little early. No problems with biting. In fact, I started training with her immediately when I brought her home and she was housebroken by about 8-9 weeks old. I taught her how to sit, lay down, shake, and roll over all by about 8 weeks old. So if anything, she was far ahead of the rest when it comes to her behavior. =)

10. carolshafer

carolshafer Boxer Insane

I read your other post and realize that the elderly lady wants to get them gone right now so I know he will be better off with you than her. Just read all you can find to read and the best of the best to all of you. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.