2nd Dog Ideas; Not a Boxer

Status
Not open for further replies.

LucNesbitt

Super Boxer
DH and I still want to get a second dog even though it didn't work when we tried the rescue path. Moab doesn't seem to want a second boxer in the house ... selfish little guy :rolleyes:

So, does anyone have any recommendations on what breeds would be a potentially good match with an 18 month old boxer?

Chiefsmom

Boxer Insane
We have a black lab mix who is an excellent companion for Chief. His other best friend is a yellow lab (cousin Barkley)! They get along very well and play together for hours. Labs are great... but watch out for that puppy stage! They require a lot of attention! Good luck with your decision! Keep us posted!

Lola's mum

Boxer Insane
My brother has a bull mastiff x and he plays wonderfully with my three or if it's a smaller breed my friends staffy gets on great with mine too and keeps up no problem.

RoxiesEcho

Boxer Insane
Bella has really bonded to her older brother the Jack Russell. They don't seem to play together much when they are outside but inside is a whole different story, they really rough things up together! She also LOVES to visit her cousin Luke who is a golden retriever/husky mix. She likes her cousin Sophie who is a standard poodle puppy but she's a little too pushy right now for Bella's liking.

kayboxer

Boxer Insane
Well, I've found out from letting my boxers play with my mom's dogs, you need to find one that can handle "boxer play". My mom has Shelties, and as long as they are outside and can run from mine, they are fine. But you know how boxers like to box, if they are inside and one of mine tries to start boxer play, they get very upset and a spat insues because her dogs can't run away when they get boxed. So, I recommend thinking of a breed that is big enough to handle the boxing. Good luck! :(

TossBranAbi

Boxer Insane
Boston Terriers are a good match for boxers. They have about the same personality and play styles. Some say that bostons are just boxers in a smaller package. This would especially work out well if you were wanting a smaller dog. Good luck on your search.

Poetic_thing

Boxer Insane
If your looking for a bigger dog Bouviers (?sp) do really well with boxers, as do labs. You basically need to look for a dog that is opposite of your dog. If you have a dominant dog then a more submissive one would work better and vise versa. You also need to decide if you want to deal with the longer hair too. Good luck in your search.

SherylM

Completely Boxer Crazy
I would have to say that Boston Terriers are a perfect match for Boxers. My little Boston Indy fit in perfectly right from the start with Jack and Avery. He really is a smaller version of a Boxer. Their characteristics are very much alike. Though he is a small dog he has no problem playing or keeping up with the big dogs. And he's tough as nails too! My husband describes life with Indy as "living with a cartoon character."

MyGirlHeidi

Completely Boxer Crazy
We have a ShihTzu and even though he is all of 12 pounds he gives our Boxer a run for her money. They love to play together. Heidi is so tolerant of him. He will nibble on her front paws and she will just lift her leg up and let him do it. Heidi is a laid back boxer and Barkley is laid back as well. I like having a big dog, small dog combo. :)

New Mom

Super Boxer
We got our Boston, Joey, when Jesse was 18 months old and it was the best thing we ever did for him. They are best buddies and that little Boston is wilder than Jesse ever was and tough as nails. When they play sometimes, you'd think they're killing each other...I can only imagine what the neighbors think!

In my opinion, a Boston is the perfect buddy for a boxer. At first I was nervous about bringing in a 5 lb puppy and would tell Jesse to "be easy with the baby". Looking back, I was dumb...that 5 lb baby would be hanging off of Jesse's face and Jesse would be looking at me like "help me mom".

All in all, it's worked out great for us.

Marilyn

Status
Not open for further replies.