1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

22 Pounds and 11 weeks old!

Discussion in 'Boxer Anatomy and Physiology' started by Drake13, Nov 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StellaBee

StellaBee Super Boxer

I just looked up solid gold puppy (lamb) formula - which is what I've been feeding Stella. Here's the breakdown:

Protein, Min 28%
    Fat, Min 14%
    Fiber, Max 4%
    Moisture, Max 10%
    Calories per cup, 410

You would suggest switching to something with less protein then? I noticed the large breed puppy formula is 26%:

Protein, Min 26%
    Fat, Min 12%
    Fiber, Max 4%
    Moisture, Max 10%
    Calcium, Max 1.5%
    Phosphorus, Max 1.2%
    Calories per cup, 375

Information from: http://www.solidgoldhealth.com/

2. gmacleod

gmacleod Elusive Moderator Staff Member

Yes, I would suggest that you switch to something with less protein. But *not* to the puppy large breed formula. It's on the limit protein-wise but calcium is just as important, and it has too much. 1.2% is suggested as a safe maximum by several studies.

Forget the puppy formulas and put her on the adult food instead. Or look at a different brand that makes a puppy formula that is not overloaded in the first place.

See this thread for a bit more info on overnutrition: http://boxerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66335

3. Tatertot

Tatertot Completely Boxer Crazy

I think Harley was only 14 lbs at 11 weeks, and I thought he was big!! My little devil lovicon he was such a feisty puppy and now he acts like a sweet old man. Sometimes I wish he was little again

4. StellaBee

StellaBee Super Boxer

At a loss for what to do with my mangy puppy.

Thank you. I guess the concern I'm left with is that Stella has D-mange right now, and supplementing seems to be the answer to building her immune system. Likewise, the ML, yogurt, eggs and kibble I'm giving her are loaded in protein and calcium. Changing her diet right now would seem to have an adverse effect on whatever strides Stella has made toward recovery. Do you think it would be detrimental to keep her on the food she's on until she recovers from mange? Thanks again.

5. gmacleod

Well, it depends. Mange is a very much less serious problem than growth disorders are. Hip dysplasia, for example, is crippling and the "solution" is hip replacement surgery. HOD, another growth disorder linked to overnutrition, is sometimes fatal.

Does that start to put things into perspective?

Now, it doesn't mean that every puppy that is fed an overloaded food is going to develop a growth disorder. If that were the case, I'm sure that there would be a great many less overloaded foods on the market. But is sure doesn't make it a good idea to continue feeding the stuff either. Especially when you're supplementing the diet further.

Why don't you just switch her to Solid Gold's adult Hund n Flocken formula? Or even a mix of the puppy and adult formulas if you can't quite stand to feed something that doens't have "puppy" on the label. They're very close to the same thing anyway, just a little more lamb and oatmeal in the adult food and a little more fish in the puppy one. Same ingredients - just slightly different proportions, and a far safer protein level in the adult food.

6. StellaBee

StellaBee Super Boxer

That does it for me.

Great, I'll start mixing now to switch over. No problem with what the label says as long as it's good for Stella!

7. gmacleod

I think it's a good idea :) She's about 7 months old now anyway, yes?

Still, if you don't want to make too many changes in diet, you could certainly feed a mix of that adult/puppy formulas. A 50-50 spllit would be enough to bring the protein levels down to an acceptable level, but not cause a great change to her diet overall. It's certainly a feasible option, anyway.

8. adobeboxers

adobeboxers Boxer Booster

Titus was pretty big as a puppy, around 20lbs at 11weeks and while he is a big boy now (tall and muscular) he is not overly huge. He went through a period around 6 or 7 months where he just didn't gain much weight. So I think it is true that many of our dog just have different growth rates. Titus is 2 and is around 73lbs now and really muscular w/o much fat at all. But he did say 50-55lbs for quite a while.

9. TexasTini

TexasTini Super Boxer

WOW! He is a big boy....

Sampson is almost 5 months and just now weighing in the 20's.

10. Drake13

Drake13 Boxer Buddy

Wow, sounds like others out there have big monsters like Drake. Well, I've had him to the vet's and the vet tells me he is healthy! He is now going on 15 weeks, about 30 pounds of solid muscle!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.