1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

22 Pounds and 11 weeks old!

Discussion in 'Boxer Anatomy and Physiology' started by Drake13, Nov 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drake13

Drake13 Boxer Buddy

Hi everyone,

I know there are lots of posts from the past regarding the weight of pups, but I was wondering if our Drake is big for his age or just seems big? Our vet tells us he is a big boy, but I also don't see many boxers at our vets office! He is very muscular already, I guess from playing with our Lab all the time! Just wondering comparably what size all your pups are, or were around this age? Thanks everyone.

2. mmichaelson

mmichaelson Banned

Wow! At 11 weeks Sam only weighed about 15 pounds. BUT, as has been said before, they all grow at different rates and if you can see his last two ribs he should be fine. :)

3. Mollie_T

Mollie_T Banned

That's big, my Maggie was about 13lbs at that age- but boys are usually bigger...

4. hatterboxers

hatterboxers Boxer Pal

My male Apallo was 22# at 11 weeks also. He won't be 1 yr until christmas day. When we went to the vet last week he weighed in at 69#! He's very tall for a boxer also. I measured him and he's at 26 inches. Average is 25 inches. He's just now starting to fill out instead of up! His mom Kassie weighes only 54# and is kinda small. Diesel weighed 24# and he's 18 weeks. Diesel and Apallo are full brothers. Their dad is short but very wide and musculer. Really need to invest in a bigger bed before my boys quite growing. There's barely enough room for me as there is!

5. Drake13

Drake13 Boxer Buddy

Thanks everyone.. yes I thought Drake was pretty big! He definetly does not have any fat on him.. in fact lots of muscle already.

6. gmacleod

gmacleod Elusive Moderator Staff Member

Actually, it's the upper limit of the boxer standard ;) A male boxer is supposed to be between 22-25 inches tall.

Drake13: Your pup sounds very large for his age. That's not necessarily a problem, and rate of growth isn't necessarily an indicator of final size. But one thing you might like to keep in mind is that growing too fast can cause some significant problems for a pup if it is caused by overnutrition rather than just genetics (overnutrition is implicated in the a number of musculoskeletal disorders ranging from exacerbation of hip dysplasia through to development of hypertorophic osteodystrophy, the latter sometimes being fatal).

I don't know what food you feed him, but it would be wise to ensure that it is not something that is overloaded in protein and calcium in particular. That way you can be reasonably sure that his fast growth rate is just down to genetics, not caused by overnutrition with the accompanying risk of musculoskeletal disease.

7. Drake13

Drake13 Boxer Buddy

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated. Actually he's been on Merrick since we got him. I'll watch his growth more closely, and speak to the vet and see what they suggest. I know they will likely try to talk me into another low grade food, like usual! Thanks again.

8. babyTANK

babyTANK Boxer Booster

Tank was 23.1 lbs at his 12 wk shots. So looks like we got some big boys, although his daddy was pretty big.

9. StellaBee

StellaBee Super Boxer

I was just reading the post about the rate of growth. It seems it's hard to find a good middle-ground. How do you "overnourish" your dog? My puppy has D-mange right now, so I've been supplementing like crazy. She eats Solid Gold, but have been supplementing with ML, yogurt, carrots, neem oil, vit C and eggs. Does this mean she's going to be overnourished and have some sort of bone disorder??? She's 6.5 months and 45 lbs. Please help.

10. gmacleod

gmacleod Elusive Moderator Staff Member

By feeding it a food that is overloaded, and by feeding too much. Too much protein and calcium in particular can be problematic, as can overall calories. So you need to watch that you choose a food that is *not* excessive. Generally speaking, a food with a good meat content (not high in grains) will be fine. Avoid foods that are high in grains, and with protein levels above about 26% (22-26% is fine, anything above that should be avoided).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.