20 year old cat

Status
Not open for further replies.

BRIDGIT

Completely Boxer Crazy
Hi everyone! My fiance, Justin has had this cat for 20 years and he loves her dearly. He loves our two boxers but they are really my dogs and this is his cat. He loves the cat like I love Jasmine and Bailey. Anyway, I know she is 20 years old and probably won't have much time left but she is still active and does not act like a 20 year old cat at all. Last night as he was petting her he noticed that her hair was coming out in clumps. He could literally pull hair out by the handfulls!! It did not hurt her at all as she was purring. Has anyone ever heard of this?

The worst part is the fiance wants to take her to the vet. I know they will get him to spend an arm and a leg on tests. My thinking is that she is 20 years old and can't have much time left so unless she is in pain why spend hundreds or thousands of dollars to find out that she is old and dying? Am I wrong thinking this way? I also hate to see him upset. He knows how I would be if something were to happen to Jasmine or Bailey. We had a talk and I told him that since Bailey is 7 and I know that she can't be here forever and when that time comes I will make her comfortable but you can't fight the inevitiable (sp?). Any advise would be great. Sorry so long!

Moonshadow

Super Boxer
Sometimes cat hair can fall out from simple acne. It sounds strange, but it has happened to our Amaretto. He got it from bacteria around a plastic feeder. It was horrible, but an office visit and an antibiotic cured it (and throwing away the feeder and using stainless steel).

Good luck!

myrocky

Boxer Insane
My cat is 15 and her hair has always come out in large clumps. She is an indoor cat and they tend to shed all year long. She is fine and there is nothing wrong with her. With the way her hair comes out you would think she was going bald but she isn't. And I know that the cat is more your fiance's but cats can live a very long time. 20yrs old may sound old but for a cat it isn't at all. Be prepared to have this cat around for a lot longer especially if she is acting goofy and still playing. My cat still chases her tail! foolicon crazy bugger!!!

Boo

Completely Boxer Crazy
I don't think it matters how old the cat is. A sick YOUNG animal can be diagnosed with a condition that is untreatable. Are the tests then a waste of money?

Your fiance loves this animal and if spending a fortune on it means that it will have another 6 months or so, I think it would be the loving thing to do for you to support him.

Adele

BRIDGIT

Completely Boxer Crazy
I agree with you. I guess you can tell that I really don't get a long with the cat much? She has thrown up on my pillow while I was sleeping and scratched my face while I was sleeping so we don't get along well. He took her to the vet and she has no idea what's wrong. She says she seems very healthy and she might be allergic to something but other than that she is fine. I am glad that he took her and feels better now.

macca

Boxer Pal
My cat died on Valentines day last year and she was approx 20 it was hard having to get her put down, but I think you should take her to the vet they should get regular check ups to ensure they are not in pain. However it is probably due to dementia which occurs a lot in older animals.

Status
Not open for further replies.