2 year old and new puppy - any advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kathysboxer

Boxer Insane
Today's the day!! Yaaa. Let us know how first day/night goes. Can't wait to hear about all the things those two will get into. Partners in crime, oh no!! Just remember, DD will probably blame puppy for lots of no-nos! :D Hho upset my plant? Doggie did it. ;)

frankieboy

Boxer Pal
You guys have been great with the advice and the uplifting morale boosters - which ..may not seem like much to some but I know there are moments when people get puppies when they think to themselves OMG! WHAT DID I DO? LMAO.

I have had lots of puppies in my lifetime, but never a boxer and never at the same time while raising a toddler! So this forum I know will be a lot of help to me.

My friend was not able to deliver Frankie to me this weekend so it may be during the week or the following weekend, which was SORT OF disappointing (I spent all of Thursday puppy-proofing to the best of my ability), but maybe it was for the best ... he will only be 8 weeks old next weekend anyway. And from what people have told me that seems like a good age to come home. Also, my daughter has the sniffles so hopefully that will be gone by the time he gets here.

I am very grateful to be able to stay at home with them both and watch them grow together. I'm mentally preparing myself for the moments of stress, as you all say - they are inevitable!

One of my "plans" (we all know plans change....) was this: Since my daughter is currently having issues sleeping in her own room and since a new puppy is likely to whine at night for a bit anyway... I am going to use an air-bed for myself in the baby's room and sleep next to her bed..and then put Frankie's crate in there with us as well. My husband won't mind sleeping alone for a week or so, in fact he might enjoy the extra leg room lol.

I have two crates one for upstairs and one for downstairs, this way I don't have to carry one up and down the stairs every night. But, does this sound like a bad idea? I'm just trying to think of how I can conveniently take care of everyone's needs at once!

kathysboxer

Boxer Insane
IMO that sleeping arrangement would work. Then as they both get older, they can tell secrets at bedtime. I am so excited for you and them!! Be sure to tell DH not to get too used to all that bed, you'll be back ;)

frankieboy

Boxer Pal
Yeah haha my husband is probably thinking to himself "WOW I LUCKED OUT ON THIS DEAL..." LMAO.

Either way, I'll make sure he works for it. He'll have to scoop the yard for poop. :)

Caney Creek

Boxer Insane
Sounds like a good sleeping arrangement to me! We only had 1 crate for Caney when she was a pup, and we carried it up and down the stairs every day so that she could sleep in the bedroom with us and be downstairs with the other dogs during the day. When she outgrew that crate we got a bigger one that stays downstairs because it's too big to carry, but by that time she really didn't need to be crated at night anymore.

My one bit of advice is to start getting her accustomed to the crate immediately when she comes home. We made the mistake of letting Caney sleep in our bed the first night we got her (stupid, I know :rolleyes:), which I'm sure only made it harder for her to get used to the crate. I didn't sleep for nearly 3 weeks! wackicon

dogsnkids

Boxer Pal
congrats on the new puppy!

I have a 4 and a 2 year old and just got our boxer about 6 weeks ago. We got our 1st dog last year right after my son turned 1 and that was fun :) Just supervise and let them get to be each other's best friend. My dogs follow both of my kids everywhere!! Even the puppy has figured out how to get into the bed with my son if I'm not watching. They really are good with children and are good at wearing the kids out too.

Make sure you have a crate so that way the puppy gets a break from the kids as well. They are still young and need naps and you might find your little one joining your puppy in the crate at times too!

Congrats on the new puppy!

frankieboy

Boxer Pal
Update After Day/night #1

Hey everyone just updating everyone - Frankie came home to us yesterday and I am pleased to announce that my friend (the breeder) really did an excellent job choosing a puppy for us.

Frankie and his fur-brother came also (to visit) and I could tell instantly the difference in personality between the two pups. Frankie is more laid back, a little shy but not fearful and much more gentle. The brother was a wild one jumping all over everything, not scared of anything and crazy dominant over Frankie.

I loved to watch the way Frankie interacted with my daughter Daniella and so far thing are looking pretty good. I know the first few weeks are always tough but one step at a time and so far Frankie is really great...

He slept in his crate last night with his brother (who left this morning to go back home to Georgia with my friend) so tonight there may been some whining. Although, I've put him in there a few times today for a nap and he whines for about 5 minutes and then goes to sleep.

He pees/poos in the yard which is good. Only had 2 small tinkle accidents in the house so far and they were small amounts due to excitement I believe. I make sure to put him out after a nap, after play and generally every 45 min to an hour.

I am going to try to get a couple of pictures up too.

Indy's mom

Boxer Insane
I loved to watch the way Frankie interacted with my daughter Daniella and so far thing are looking pretty good. I know the first few weeks are always tough but one step at a time and so far Frankie is really great...

appicon Yeah!!!! From your post as well as your previous posts it sounds as though you are prepared for all the excitement to come. It may become a bit much from time to time, but mostly it's wonderful, much like living with children. :)

Congratulations! Please continue to update us.

Sandy

BonnieBoxer

Boxer Buddy
Make sure you have a crate so that way the puppy gets a break from the kids as well. They are still young and need naps and you might find your little one joining your puppy in the crate at times too!

Congrats on the new puppy!

This is so true. I have a 2y/o and there's times when Bonnie just goes to her crate to get away from my daughter. Another thing i didn't read all the other posts so i don't know if anybody mentioned this but never leave the 2 alone your boxer puppy doesn't know her own strength and she may not mean to but she can hurt your daughter. I left Bonnie with my daughter for less than a minute to go to the bathroom and i came back to my daughter crying cause Bonnie(15 weeks at the time) had somehow jumped up on Gabby and cut her lip.

Status
Not open for further replies.