2 1/2 boxer "turned" on our 7 month son

Status
Not open for further replies.

richoneill

Boxer Pal
We've had "Weezy" since she was a pup from a breeder. While she's always been very dominant with other dogs she has NEVER shown any aggression towards children. In fact, there are tons of kids in our neighborhood who she plays with on a daily basis. They all love her. She's been wonderful with our new child (7 months) until the other day. We were all in the living room and he crawled up to her as he's done many times before. He leaned up on her side and then she rolled onto her back which forced him to roll more on top of her as well. They even looked up at me smiling long enough so I could take a picture. Well within a few seconds after taking the picture I heard Weezy start to growl. Before my wife or I could say or do anything Weezy jumped up, forcing him to land on his back and than she lunged for him in a very aggressive manner just as she's done with other dogs. Within a millisecond my wife had scooped up the baby and I had grabbed the dog. Luckily she didn't bite him. She could have easily done so which shows that her intentions may not necessarily have been to hurt but only warn. Either way it was very serious. We've been working with a one-on-one trainer for over 7 months (mostly on her dog aggression issues and basic training) and she's made huge improvements but this recent incident really shocked us considering how great she's been with him. Needless-to-say, we won't be leaving them alone with each other again but now we have to always worry about something happening. We really do not want to give up Weezy but it is something that must be considered. Has anyone had something similar happen?

PS - I e-mailed the picture to our trainer (since it might explain what provoked the situation) and he is coming over to talk about it with us. Not sure what he'll say but, as mentioned, giving her to a loving family with no kids is a consideration as heat breaking as it would be. Thanks.

Vela

Boxer Insane
Well I would think most likely he probably hurt her accidentally. Little children should never be left to climb on a dog because if the dog gets hurt they respond quickly and aggressively, much like a mom dog would do to a puppy. Because she didn't actually bite him I really think he probably hurt her and she did what she would do to a puppy. I have a used to be mom dog (I spayed her when I got her) and what used to be "her" puppy. She reacted exactly the same way when he was little and would bite too hard or hurt her. Of course now he respsects her and doesn't push it too far but people babies don't understand it. You definately need to never let him climb on her and give her a place to go where she can get away from him. He also needs to learn to leave her alone when she needs a time out from being "payed with". She isn't a stuffed animal. Training needs to be done for both the dog and your son and I think you will probabky be just fine. I'm sure your trainer will have more suggestions. Good luck!

momstaxi

Completely Boxer Crazy
The fact she plays so well with alot of children and that she didn't really hurt your son makes me think this is an isolated incident.Perhaps he did accidently hurt her. That being said i am also a mom to 3 and i understand you can't take chances when little kids are involved. i guess if it were me I would consult the behaviorist, keep a very close eye on the two together, and see if anything else happens. Good luck
Michele

Putermom

Boxer Booster
I'm wondering if your son didn't accidentally grab Weezy but grabbed abit too hard, as babies are apt to do. When they clench their fists, they can really dig into the skin. Maybe your son got a hold of Weezy and grabbed too hard and Weezy was reacting to the pain?

The other thought I had after reading your post (several times) was that maybe in Weezy rolling onto her back, then your son rolled on top of Weezy may have been construed as dominancy by your son over Weezy and she was "fighting" back....or resisting it. When Weezy rolled onto her back, she became submissive but because she may actually be a dominant dog, resisted the position?

I'm not a pro or a trainer but these were my thoughts based on the "picture" your post gave to me when I read it.

Good Luck! It also may have been a fluke. I'm leaning towards the pain theory.

richoneill

Boxer Pal
Thanks for the advice. I agree with all replies. I'm hoping this was an isolated incident. Trainer will be by tomorrow so, again, we'll see what he say's. Unfortunately, she's been a major "devil dog" this week for some reason (excessive leash pulling, not listening, etc...) so it's not helping her case but then again that's just a typical young boxer. By the way, at what age did your boxers start to show signs of "calming down"? (if that ever really happens) :)

xenaprincess

Boxer Insane
I have 3 children and 2 boxers. My youngest daughter (4) was born when Xena was 4, and Xena has been like a nanny with Jessica. There have been times when my daughter was a little rough with Xena but Xena has NEVER bit her or hurt her. She has warned her with a low growl or a snarl but never biting! Xena will always lay on her stomach when playing with Jessica. Jessica knows now not to jump on her or pull on her...we had to train Jessica to learn the rules too! Spirit is now 11mths old, and he is much more stronger and careless with Jessica than Xena is! He's just a big goof never intending to hurt Jessica, but being a puppy still, he gets overly excited! Their play is usually always supervised.
I know your little guy is still too young to understand how to be "gentle" when playing so it is up to you to supervise. I believe this was an isolated incident and Weezy may have been hurt and was only doing what dogs do naturally when hurt. I think she gave him a warning like a mamma doggie would do to her pup. It is best that you have the behaviourist go over this incident with you guys.
As for the question about when they "calm" down....Xena became much more calm around the age of 3-4. By that I mean she became more careful and gentle when palying with children. Any dog under the age of 2 is still in puppy-mode and plays with others as they would play with their litter. It is up to us to set the limits. Best of luck to you guys...keep us posted. I am anxious to hear what the behaviourist said! :)

Train son and Boxer

I agree with the others. Your Boxer was trying to warn your young son to get off her. She was probably trying to say she was not a jungle gym.

Please do keep working with her. But please do not allow your son to climbl all over her. Besides it is a sign of dominance, but he could hurt her seriously. A foot in her groin or a finger her in eye. He is old enough to be taught to be gentle with her Boxer buddy.

Growling is a warning. It is a warning we should heed. That is how a Boxer talks. So please train your son right along with training your Boxer. BOTH need to be taught what is acceptable.

richoneill

Boxer Pal
well we met with the trainer and he felt the same as all of you, that this was an isolated incident or a "warning" from Weezy. He's been working with her for a long time now so he knows her temperament very well. We're going to work more on training both of them in the house and letting Sean know when to leave Weezy alone and vice versa. Long story short, we're going to work through it and, hopefully, all will be well. Thanks for the advice.

xenaprincess

Boxer Insane
appicon appicon appicon So glad you decided to hang in there!!
Weezy and your son will thank you for it as I am sure they will grow to be the best of friends!! You guys are aware of the problem and willing to work on it and I think that's great, although I do understand your initial reaction! Very scary indeed!!
Best wishes to you and your family! :)

robynkendall

Super Boxer
Also, never let the baby mess with the dog when he's sleeping. My youngest son, who is four, would always try to play with Sam when he was sleeping and Sam, of course, didn't like it and he would growl. I had to explain (more than once lol) that the growl was a warning to be left alone. Otherwise Sam has been really great with kids as I'm sure most boxers are. I'm sure things will work out for you, you sound like you're taking the right approach :)

Status
Not open for further replies.