1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

11 week old size

Discussion in 'Boxer Anatomy and Physiology' started by Dawiz1, Apr 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dawiz1

Dawiz1 Boxer Pal

I am new to the boxer world and i have a 11 week old puppy who i am absolutley in love with... however i am a little concerned about his size... he is just 15lbs and looks very frail {ribs and spine showing,} and doesnt like to eat very much... im currently feeding Ali I AM's for large breeds is this not good? both his father and mother are huge and im hoping he catches up to them one day... is this a good weight for his age?

2. seniorbigs

seniorbigs Boxer Pal

Tanner weighed 14pounds at 10 weeks, and looked so scrawny. All his ribs showing and no waist. Then he got sick and lost 2 pounds. Now he is 5 1/2 months and mucho filled out with tons of energy and looks beautiful. Mike

3. hanley

hanley Boxer Insane

puppy size

Have you taken your pup to the doctor, if the DR. thinks he is not sick , don't worry about him, just enjoy him being a baby, he will get big fast enough! But I would change his food , because he is not considered a large breed dog. Boxer Pals Hanley, Susie & Cletus

4. Bers

Bers Banned

I don't think 15 lbs. is a bad weight for him. Boxers are naturally lean and thin looking. My puppy (Koda) is four months old now and starting to fill out, but when he was that age I worried a lot about his weight. That's exactly how much he weighed at 11 wks., and you could see his ribs and hip bones. I asked the vet a couple of times, he said he was very healthy. Your puppy's growing really fast right now, so he needs a lot of calories to keep up. He may look very tall and lanky to you, but he'll grow into those legs!

Koda was on Iams when I got him because that's what the breeder was feeding him. However, I learned through my reading and from this website that it's not a very nutritious food. I started transitioning him to a new food right away. He didn't like to eat very much at first either, but he seemed to like the new food better than the Iams. He now eats Petsmart's premium brand, Blue. There are a lot of good premium foods, if you can find them in your area. That's the problem I've had, plus they cost more than I ever thought I would pay for dog food!! But oh well, they have to have the best don't they?

You can do a search on these forums or use this link http://www.whole-dog-journal.com to find more information about what brands are good. Also, I don't know if it's a good idea to feed the large breed formula, since Boxers aren't really that large when full grown. It makes a big difference to developing bones.

I'm definitely no expert, since I've only been lucky enough to have a Boxer for about two months. There's a lot of good advice to be found here. Good luck and congratulations on your new puppy!

5. NFBoxerMom

NFBoxerMom Super Boxer

Depending on the build of your pup, that weight may very well be healthy.
    Belle was a petite pup, and was only 15 pounds at around 12 weeks of age, whereas Copper was the same weight at 8 weeks.

Best bet is to have your vet check him over to be sure there's nothing else going on. Perhaps different food is all he needs :)

welcome to boxerworld!

Lori
    Belle, Copper & Holly

6. SkippyToo

SkippyToo Completely Boxer Crazy

Your puppie's weight doesn't sound so bad to me.

Boxer puppies go through many stages, and sometimes it includes a "ribby" stage. My Samson and Delilah are looking this way again. They have beautiful shiny coats, so I know that they are healthy. They never were chubby as puppies, as some breeds tend to be.

Tyra is a tiny bit shorter than Samson, but appears to be heftier than him. I didn't have her when she was a young puppy so I have no idea what she looked like then. She eats less than Samson does now. So, eating habits don't always set the rules for size.

If your vet checked your puppy over, and determined that it is healthy, then I would not worry about the size. I remember people commenting that my boxers looked malnourished when they were younger, but these people were not used to the boxer breed either. They were happy and healthy puppies.

7. LeahR

LeahR Super Boxer

As long as your vet says he doesn't have worms ( this is often the cause of a pup looking too thin as the worms eat all of the nutrition and food in their tummy) then by my experience with Mason ( who is now a hefty 80lbs) your pup is probably fine. I had to actually sit there with Mason when he was a pup and virtually make him eat. It was like his attention span wasn't long enough to eat a full meal!!! I ended up mixing his dry with some wet food for about 3 months. Apparently he liked the wet cause he then began eating his whole meal. Also, I think that boxers have a late "blooming" as most dogs are their full size by two, at least in Masons case he had a huge growth spurt at about two ( went from 55-60 lbs to about 75 lbs in his second to third year) I know that everyones opinion differs about food ( from us common folk to the experts) but I have always fed IAMS, my vet agrees with it and Mason is very health ( So is Aspen who when we got her @ 6wks was 4.5 lbs and now at 10 wks she's 13lbs! Find what your pup likes and what seems to make his digestive track work well ( if your new to boxers, let me warn you they have a VERY sensitive digestive system!) and stick to it! GOOD LUCK

-Leah, Mason & Aspen

8. Dawiz1

Dawiz1 Boxer Pal

thanx to everyone for the help... according to the vet he is very healthy... so im going to just roll with that

thanx again

9. Kaylamyboxer

Kaylamyboxer Boxer Booster

My Kayla weighs 12 pounds and she will be 11 weeks old tomorrow.I think she will be small but that's okYou love your boxer no matter what.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.