1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

10 week old chewing and pulling leash on walk

Discussion in 'Dog Training' started by mikrstonecyp, Apr 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikrstonecyp

mikrstonecyp Boxer Pal

Need help, my 10 week old will not walk on leash. Grabs nylon woven leash in mouth and its like having a fish on line. Tried soaking leash in white vinegar ( he loves the taste). Tried metal leash, still chews and pulls. Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

2. Jan

Jan Reasonable Moderator Staff Member

Try Granicks Bitter Apple. Make sure that you shake it up well before using as the bitter's sink to the bottom. Soak the leash in it and make sure that you give him a taste of it. Put some on your finger or spray a bit in his mouth. He will then know that it tastes really yucky and won't want to chew on the leash.

Good luck!

3. Jinnytee

Jinnytee Super Boxer

I had this problem too. I even tried putting Tobasco sauce on the leash !. What worked for me was to keep a hand-full of treats in my pocket. My pup would drop the leash for a treat. Then keep the treats coming for as long as the leash is left alone, with verbal praise. If the leash is picked up again, say "Leave it " and withhold the treat. She quickly got the idea and would walk with her focus on me, waiting for the treat, which is also good training in itself. Of course it does mean that leash walking involves a supply of treats for a while .... but you gradually reduce the frequency of the rewards. However, even now I keep just a couple of treats in my pocket to reward her for walking "nicely", or ignoring a distraction.

Also, as a young pup, I also kept a leash on her for periods when we were not walking, primarily because I had two adult dogs and needed to be able to grab her if she was being too exhuberent. If she became interested in the leash, I would say "leave it " and offer a toy or game with me instead. After a while the leash became so familiar that she really didn't bother with it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.