1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

10 week old biting boxer sibling on lips/neck

Discussion in 'Behavioral Issues' started by boxrmommy, Jul 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boxrmommy

boxrmommy Boxer Booster

Ugh... Puppy teeth are weapons. Poppy has taken playing to another level. She and Bentley roll around in the floor and adore each other, but Bentley has scabs on his lip and neck from Poppy biting. I have tried pulling her away when she starts and giving her bone or chew toy. She does good with "leave it" command except for this scenario.

Any advice/tips will be greatly appreciated.

Stacey

2. Jan

Jan Reasonable Moderator Staff Member

I have the same problem with Dante and Allie. I have noticed that Dante is getting scabs on his neck since Allie is constantly chewing on him. He is amazingly tolerant of all her chewing. They wrestle constantly. Right now Allie still has a puppy license and she gets away with murder. I figure that eventually Dante will put her in her place. In the meantime, I am not going to be too concerned. A few scabs won't hurt Dante. I would much rather that she chew on Dante, than on me. :)

3. boxrmommy

boxrmommy Boxer Booster

Thanks, Jan. I found a past article on puppy license... it makes sense. The past two days Bentley (older) has been staying up on furniture and doesn't want to play with anyone. I made a vet appointment to get him checked out. He has heart murmur and hasn't been to cardiologist this year. He has been busy keeping up! I know I am being ridiculous, right?

4. bobzilla

bobzilla Boxer Buddy

I have a similar problem with my 14 week old female and her "sister" that is about a year old. My little Java just won't leave her alone! She bites her collar, her flews, and her ears.

They also bite on each other's back legs, which I've seen the mother do to them when they were still with her.

Yeah, not much stops it. Sometimes I combine a Leave It with just standing in front of Rosie (the older one) and blocking Java. I'll redirect her to something else, but usually idf I leave, she's back at it.

I also call them both to me, give them some lovin' and just break the insanity so when they go back at it, it's not as crazy. Usually sounds like they're killing each other!

Bob

5. trc4941

trc4941 Super Boxer

How funny! I had posted a question last week titled "Puppy Play?" because we were having the same problems. Romeo is 5 months old and we now have a 9 week old Bordeaux Boxer (French mastiff/boxer mix) - I know silly designer dog names - they used to be called mutts! Poor Romeo's neck is covered in scabs from Luca's puppy play. Romeo is much gentler with his biting where Luca is relentless. Not that Romeo doesn't egg him on! They seem to enjoy the rough play but I just wonder if there can be too much of it. My husband is constantly trying to break them up. I tell him they have to play, but he's much more of a worry-wart. So we try to let them cool down once in awhile by distracting them with something else. I must say though, we have some very tired puppies by the end of the day and that's a good thing!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.